Monitoring a patient’s vital signs is a crucial part of the job of a nurse and one of those vital signs is the patient’s temperature.
Having an accurate, reliable thermometer that provides a quick read is something every nurse should have.
These are 5 of the best thermometers for nurses.
*Disclosure: This article on thermometers for nurses may contain affiliate links. If you click and make a purchase, I may receive a commission. For info on the best equipment to use make sure to follow your facility protocol and recommendations. For more info, please see my disclaimer.
- Best Temporal/Forehead Thermometer for Nurses: No products found.
- Best Non-Contact/Infrared Thermometer for Nurses: LPOW No Touch Forehead Thermometer
5 Best Thermometers for Nurses
Here’s our picks of the best thermometers for nurses. If you’re a school nurses there’s some good picks in here for you as well.
1. TrackAid Medical Forehead and Ear Thermometer
No products found.
The versatility of the No products found. is what makes it one of the best.
You can quickly switch between the forehead detection mode and the ear detection mode with just the click of a button.
The forehead and ear are the two most comfortable areas for patients when taking their temperature.
An accurate reading appears on the digital screen in just one second and is easily recognizable due to a distinctive beeping sound.
The thermometer can also store up to 20 previous readings.
- Forehead and ear detection
- Reads quickly
- Stores 20 readings
- Confusing instructions
- Ear mode not suitable for under 3 months
Check the price of the No products found. on Amazon.com.
2. LPOW No Touch Forehead Thermometer
- No-Touch Measure in 1 Second: This contactless thermometer is equipped with a high-precision infrared sensor, which can accurately read data within 1 second. The measurement distance between the...
- Intelligent Three Color Indication: Our digital thermometer displays three different temperature levels on the LCD in different colors. Green: 95.9-99.1℉(35.5-37.3℃), Orange:...
- Multiple Measurement Modes: This infrared thermometer can measure body temperature and the temperature of objects or liquids. It is suitable for people of all ages. Press and hold the set button for 3...
Safe and hygienic, the LPOW No Touch Forehead Thermometer is a great thermometer for nurses who want to minimize the risk of spreading viruses and bacteria to other patients with their nursing tools.
It uses infrared technology to scan the forehead up to 5 cm away from the skin, virtually eliminating the possibility of cross-contamination.
It’s easy-to-read and offers a convenient colored indication of a fever.
The display screen lights up green for normal temperatures, yellow for low-grade fevers, and red for high fevers.
It can also store up to 50 temperatures.
- No-touch infrared technology
- Colored indicators for fevers
- Stores up to 50 readings
- Instructions are difficult to read
- Material is lightweight and not very sturdy
Check the price of the LPOW No Touch Forehead Thermometer on Amazon.
3. Baby Thermometer, Thermometer for Fever Ear and Forehead
- [Touchless and quickly ship from amazon USA] This thermometer is backed by clinical studies and recommended. We provide 3 Ultra Sensitive sensors and the latest smart chip with the optimized algorithm...
- [A must-have thermometer for family and public places] The digital thermometer is designed for all ages, adults, infants and elders. It not only supports forehead/ear function, but is able to take...
- [LCD screen display in dark] Without wake up the baby, one second fast measurement instant readying and mute mode, you can read temperature clearly even in the dark. Equipped with fever warning...
You never have to worry about waking a sick, sleeping baby with this Baby Thermometer.
A forehead reading can be taken quietly in the dark thanks to the HD LED screen that clearly lights up with the reading.
You can also switch to ear detection mode for older children and adults, making this the perfect thermometer for the entire family.
Readings can be shown in both Celsius and Fahrenheit for added convenience. Up to 35 previous readings can be stored for comparing temperatures.
- Light-up LED display with large, clear numbers
- Celsius and Fahrenheit modes
- Stores 35 previous readings
- Battery compartment loosens easily
- Beep function doesn’t always work
Check the price of the Baby Thermometer, Thermometer for Fever Ear and Forehead on Amazon.com.
4. Metene Medical Forehead and Ear Thermometer
- Forehead and Ear Mode: Free to switch the detection mode from Forehead to Ear which is the easiest and most practical way to take temperature
- Accuracy and Reliability: Equipped with the most advanced medical infrared technology for accuracy and reliability; recommended by experts following its vigorous tests to confirm its consistency and...
- Memory Recall: Thermometer can store and recall up to 20 readings for baby and adults, available to help you track the trend of body temperature
The Metene Medical Forehead and Ear Thermometer is a digital infrared thermometer that takes accurate forehead and ear readings on children and adults of all ages.
You can easily switch between the forehead and ear detection modes with just the click of a button.
The large display lights up either green for satisfactory temperatures or red for high temperatures.
A long beep is another indicator of a satisfactory temperature while 7 short beeps alert the user to a high fever.
The modes can also be changed from Celsius to Fahrenheit.
- Green or red screen indicates whether there’s a fever
- Beeps change if there’s a fever
- Celsius and Fahrenheit modes
- Thermometer material isn’t durable
- Not suitable for newborns
Check the price of the Metene Medical Forehead and Ear Thermometer on Amazon.
5. iProven Digital Medical Thermometer
- Push Button Convenience And Accuracy - The iProven oral and rectal thermometer for children and adults needs only 10-20 seconds to check for a fever. The thermometer has been tested again and again to...
- Soft And Flexible Tip For More Comfort - Take your little ones rectal temperature safely
- Always Squeeky Clean And Hygienic - The ProFlex Temp DTR-1221A is waterproof for easy cleaning. Clean it under the tap with a bit of soap without a problem! Next to that it comes with a free hard case...
There’s nothing quite like the reliability of an old-fashioned oral or rectal thermometer, and this iProven Digital Medical Thermometer combines both along with updated digital technology for easier reads.
Temperatures can be taken in under 10 seconds for added convenience and patient comfort.
The thermometer’s tip is waterproof so it can be cleaned after each use.
There’s also a hard case that comes with the thermometer to keep it clean and safe when it’s not in use.
An arrow points to a sad face, a neutral face, or a happy face, depending on how high the temperature is.
- Can be used orally or rectally
- Waterproof tip
- Hard case included
- Difficult to switch to Fahrenheit
- Hard to change the battery
Check the price of the iProven Digital Medical Thermometer on Amazon.
Thermometer Buying Guide for Nurses
1. Fahrenheit vs. Celsius
Many thermometers come with the ability to switch from Fahrenheit mode to Celsius mode.
Although much of the world uses Celsius to measure temperatures, the United States still uses Fahrenheit- the original way to measure temperature.
Finding a thermometer that measures both units is a convenient feature to have.
Fahrenheit determines that water freezes at 32 degrees while Celsius determines water freezes at 0 degrees.
2. Newborn Temperatures
The ear canal of a newborn makes it difficult to take an accurate reading in their ear.
Since they wiggle so much, it also may be difficult to get an accurate forehead or oral reading.
Rectal thermometers are recommended for infants under 3 months of age in order to get the most accurate reading.
3. Cleaning and Safety
Whether or not you’re using the thermometer on one patient or multiple patients, it’s important to keep it clean to prevent the spread of germs and bacteria.
Whenever possible, use a probe cover to cover the tip of the thermometer- whether it be the ear, forehead, rectum, or mouth.
Probe covers should be removed and disposed of after each patient and then the probe should be thoroughly cleaned with a disinfectant.
A normal body temperature is considered 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit. Anything over 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit is considered a fever.
Children under 3 months of age need medical attention for fevers 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher.
An accurate temperature reading could mean the difference between life and death for some patients, which is why having a reliable thermometer is so important.
These thermometers could be beneficial to nurses looking for a reliable and accurate thermometer to use when taking vital signs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best thermometer for nurses?
The best thermometer for nurses is one that is both reliable and accurate for nurses to use.