Many nurse practitioners choose to wear a lab coat because it serves multiple purposes.
It gives you a professional appearance and makes it known that you are in the medical profession. It also gives you places to hold many essential medical tools.
Here are 10 of the best lab coats.
*Disclosure: This article on the best lab coats for nurse practitioners may contain affiliate links. If you click and make a purchase, I may receive a commission. For more info, please see my disclaimer.
Best Lab Coats for Nurse Practitioners
1. Dickies Unisex Lab Coat
- Unisex Fit lab coat with a notched lapel
- Four button front closure.If one of your measurements is borderline between two sizes, order the smaller size for a tighter fit or the larger size for a looser fit
- One chest pocket
The 40-inch length of this Dickies Unisex Lab Coat provides extra coverage and protection for busy nurse practitioners.
It also boasts multiple pockets, including a chest pocket and two lower pockets. The lower pockets feature a handy side entry for easy access to pants pockets.
The material is lightweight and easy-to-clean. The polyester/cotton blend can be machine washed to disinfect the lab coat after each use.
There are also four front buttons that can be buttoned up, or left open for a variety of looks.
- Long length
- Easy access to pants pockets
- Machine washable fabric
- Sizing runs a little big
- Material is on the thin side
- Customer complaints of buttons coming loose
Check the price of the Dickies Unisex Lab Coat on Amazon.
2. Grey’s Anatomy Women’s Lab Coat
- Luxury at Work: Made with the ultimate in super-soft, luxurious fabric in a modern fit, this medical white coat pampers you with every touch; princess seams, an inset belt, loose button back belt and...
- Professional 3-Pocket Design: Keep your belongings secure in the chest pocket and the two lower patch pockets; with a rounded top collar, generous facings, bar tacks for reinforcement and sleeves set...
- Comfortable & Versatile: Made with our premium blend of 80% polyester and 20% cotton peached twill, this long-sleeve lab coat is body contoured for shape without being too tight; machine-washable and...
This stylish Grey's Anatomy Women's Lab Coat is perfect for the nurse practitioner who wants to look professional but also fashionable at the same time.
It has a modern, tailored design that cinches in at the waist, giving a nice shape to the lab coat, instead of the traditional boxy look.
The fabric is thicker so you are less likely to see through to what’s underneath.
It also resists yellowing, therefore you should be able to get several years of use out of it. The back features a vent for added breathability and comfort.
- Tailored fit looks great
- Fabric is resistant to yellowing
- Breathable back vent
- Sizing runs small in the bust
- Sleeves are a little long
- Fabric is stiff
Check the price of the Grey's Anatomy Women's Lab Coat on Amazon.
3. Utopia Wear Professional Men’s Lab Coat
- HIGH QUALITY – Made using a high blend of Cotton and Polyester; providing you with softness, as well as durability. High quality lab coats are needed to protect you in work environments with a...
- MACHINE WASHABLE – This lab coat is easy to care for. The Durable fabric allows you to wash this lab coat again and again; for easy care after use! Professionally hemmed edges are carefully graded...
- MULTI-FUNCTION – This professional lab coat provides protection against spills, grime, dirt, and splashes! Suitable for Medical Professionals, Scientists, Biology, Chemistry classes, & Medical...
This Utopia Wear Professional Men's Lab Coat is ideal for any nurse practitioner who works in a setting where they may be exposed to spills and other accidents.
The cotton/polyester blend fabric is thick enough to protect your clothing, while also being lightweight and comfortable. It’s also machine washable so that it’s a breeze to clean.
The 41-inch length is extra long so that it covers a majority of your clothing, keeping them safe and protected. There are 4 handy buttons on the front of the lab coat, as well as 3 generously-sized pockets.
- Easy-to-clean fabric
- Long length preserves clothing
- Plenty of pocket space
- Customer complaints of buttons falling off
- Stiff fabric
- Sleeves are a little short
Check the price of the Utopia Wear Professional Men's Lab Coat on Amazon.
4. Dickies Scrubs Women’s Lab Coat
- Junior fit lab coat
- Notch collar with lapel, back darts and center back belt for shaping
- 3/4 sleeve with side vents that can be folded up as a cuff or released down
If you’re looking for a transitional piece for spring and fall, this Dickies Scrubs Women's Lab Coat is a great option. It has 3/4 length sleeves that can be rolled up if you’d like a shorter sleeve.
Four large pockets in the front hold several items, and one pocket has a utility strap with a D-ring so you can hang things from it.
The fabric is a nice blend of cotton and polyester so it’s machine washable, but also very durable. The 30-inch length is long enough to cover the bottom, but you can still sit comfortably in it.
- 3/4 length sleeves
- 4 large pockets
- Machine washable
- Tight in the arms
- Sizing runs large
- Not very breathable
Check the price of the Dickies Scrubs Women's Lab Coat on Amazon.
5. Cherokee Women’s Lab Coat
- Princess seams
- Center back vent
- Angled front patch pockets, back belt with button detail, and mock sleeve cuff
A perfect fit and length is what you’ll find with this Cherokee Women's Lab Coat. It cinches in at the waist and flares out a bit at the hips to give you a nice shape.
The material is lightweight and breathable thanks to the back vent, but it is also thick enough to cover and protect the clothing underneath.
Four large front pockets keep your belongings secure while the five front buttons can be worn buttoned up or unbuttoned for a variety of looks.
It is machine washable, but dry it on low to avoid pilling.
- Fit-and-flare style
- Breathable back vent
- Large front pockets
- Tumble dry on low to avoid pilling
- Sleeves are a little too long
- Fabric wrinkles easily
Check the price of the Cherokee Women's Lab Coat on Amazon.
6. Barco’s Women’s Lab Coat
- 5 pocket princess seam
- Tablet pockets and inside pockets back band
- For use with ipad
A must-have for any nurse practitioner who carries around their tablet all day, this Barco's Women's Lab Coat has two generously-sized front pockets that fit most standard tablets, including an iPad. There are also three other pockets for storing other necessities.
The 34-inch length jacket and long sleeves covers a majority of the clothing worn underneath, so you don’t have to worry about staining your scrubs or professional work clothes.
The cotton/polyester fabric blend resists yellowing and is machine washable for easy cleanup. Princess seams and a back band lend some style to this lab coat.
- 2 front tablet pockets
- Fabric resists yellowing
- Princess seams and other nice details
- Sizing runs big
- Fabric is heavy
- Tends to wrinkle easily
Check the price of the Barco's Women's Lab Coat on Amazon.
7. Dr. James Unisex Lab Coat
- SIZE TIP: Remember this is a Unisex lab coat so make sure to select the gender equivalent size from the drop down menu. If you fall between 2 sizes, we recommend the smaller size for a more...
- FABRIC: Dr. James lab coats are made from a LABTEX industrial grade fabric that is made up of 65% polyester and 35% cotton with a hardwearing but soft hand finish.
- FEATURES: Scroll down to the product description to see the full details of this style’s features.
This Dr. James Unisex Lab Coat has just about everything you could want or need in a lab coat. The fabric is thick and durable, yet also soft and comfortable.
There are two large pockets big enough for holding a tablet, and a smaller pocket for holding a cell phone. A chest pocket is convenient for holding pens and your ID badge.
The 40-inch length is ideal if you want something that covers a lot of your clothing. Many who wear it will see that it hits mid-thigh, although that will depend on your height.
- Tablet and smartphone pockets
- Long length covers clothing
- Thick and durable fabric
- May be too large if you’re petite
- Snap button closure
- Sleeves are short
Check the price of the Dr. James Unisex Lab Coat on Amazon.
8. Natural Uniforms Unisex Lab Coat
- Modern Fit Lab Coat: Our white lab coat is 40 inches long and comes with a belted back. This long-sleeve lab coat features a lapel collar, front button closure, 1 chest pocket, and 2 lower pockets
- High-Quality Uniform: Our white lab coat is made using the finest materials. The classic blending of 65% polyester and 35% cotton increases the fabric strength, makes it soft and durable
- Epicene Outlook: This unisex lab coat gives a chic and stylish look and can be worn by males and females. This white lab coat makes the wearer look more professional and well-organized
If you’re looking for a classic lab coat, this Natural Uniforms Unisex Lab Coat is the one. It’s made from a nice, soft cotton/polyester blend fabric that is machine washable.
The 40-inch length comes down to about mid-thigh, which is a traditional length for most lab coats. There is a button closure with a back belt that also buttons for some added style.
Two large lower pockets hold many essential large items while the chest pocket is convenient for storing smaller items. The lab coat does run big, so err on the side of caution and size down if you are between sizes.
- Machine washable
- Classic look
- Large pockets
- Sizing runs big
- Material isn’t very thick
- Buttons aren’t durable
Check the price of the Natural Uniforms Unisex Lab Coat on Amazon.
9. Dickies Everyday Scrubs Men’s Lab Coat
- Notched collar, three button closure
- Kick pleat 31 inch length
This Dickies Everyday Scrubs Men's Lab Coat is ideal for those working in a more casual medical setting.
Since the material is on the thin side, it doesn’t provide as much protection as a thicker material would.
On the plus side, the thinner material is also breathable and will keep you comfortable during your shift.
The shorter length is easier to sit in than longer lab coats, but it also leaves the pants exposed to spills.
There are several pockets, including two front pockets, a chest pocket, and an inside pocket that’s ideal for holding your smartphone.
- Breathable fabric
- Several pockets
- Comfortable to sit in
- Material is on the thin side
- Doesn’t provide coverage for pants
- Wrinkles easily
Check the price of the Dickies Everyday Scrubs Men's Lab Coat on Amazon.
10. Vogrye Professional Unisex Lab
- Soft fabric, as well as durability. High quality lab coats are needed to protect you in work environments.
- Professional Lab Coat. Custom Styled for Men and Women. Size S-Bust 39.4"//Size M-Bust 41.3"///Size L-Bust 43.3"///Size XL-Bust 46.1"///Size 2XL-Bust 49.2"///Size 3XL-Bust 54.3"///Size 4XL-Bust 58.2".
- Two Waist Pockets and 1 Chest Pocket with Pen Holder/ Modern Design.
What makes this Vogrye Professional Unisex Lab coat unique is that it’s also offered in the color black.
If you aren’t required to wear the traditional white lab coat, the black lab coat looks sharp and professional.
The polyester/cotton fabric blend is thick and durable, and also has a bit of a sheen to it for some extra style.
The two front pockets are large enough to hold a tablet or foldable clipboard while the chest pocket can hold smaller items. It’s machine washable and can be ironed if it becomes wrinkled.
- Comes in black and white
- Durable fabric
- Large front pockets
- Sleeves are a little too long
- Customer complaints of several loose threads
- Buttons don’t always line up correctly
Check the price of the Vogrye Professional Unisex Lab on Amazon.
Lab Coat Buying Guide for Nurse Practitioners
The length of a lab coat can have a big impact on how effective and comfortable it is. Longer lab coats are more ideal if you work in an environment where you may encounter frequent spills or stains.
The long lab coat will protect a majority of the clothing underneath the lab coat from getting dirty or damaged.
Longer lab coats are more difficult to sit in, so unless you need the length to protect your clothing, a shorter lab coat may be better for you.
Shorter lab coats still look professional, but they don’t cover the bottom and legs so they are easier to sit in and don’t require undoing buttons in order to sit comfortably.
The size and number of pockets is very important when it comes to choosing the right lab coat.
The more pockets, the better, since nurse practitioners need a lot of tools in order to perform their job efficiently.
Pockets that are large enough to fit a tablet or smartphone are ideal if you need to do research or record notes for a patient’s electronic medical record.
Having some hidden pockets are a nice bonus to keep items like a smartphone or wallet secure while you are working.
Every lab coat should have a chest pocket in order to prominently feature an ID badge.
3. Washing Instructions
Pay close attention to the washing instructions on a lab coat.
Nurse practitioners encounter a lot of germs and debris on the job, most of which can end up on their lab coat.
Cleaning the lab coat should be easy, since it will need to be done frequently.
Most lab coats are machine washable. To keep your lab coat looking brand new, follow these general washing instructions:
- Wash white items separately from colors
- Use a heavy-duty detergent
- Wash on the hottest setting allowed by the care instruction label
- Pre-treat stains before washing
- Avoid bleach as it can turn a lab coat yellow
- Only machine dry it if it clearly states it’s safe to do so
- Use an iron on the lowest setting to remove wrinkles
4. Thin vs. Thick Material
There are pros and cons to both thin and thick materials.
Thin materials are more breathable than thick, but they are also see-through and don’t provide as much protection from spills and stains.
Thick material is more durable than thin, but it can also make you hot and uncomfortable. Choose a lightweight fabric that is thick enough to cover the clothing underneath with a back vent for breathability.
Most lab coats feature buttons in the front. Buttons look more professional than a zipper closure. Be sure that buttons are durable and can withstand frequent washes.
Snap buttons are not ideal as they can come undone easily and don’t look as professional.
A lab coat is an essential garment for any nurse practitioner.
Not only does it give you a professional appearance, but it also stores many of the tools you will need to perform your job correctly.
Consider these lab coats when you are looking for one that’s high-quality and comfortable.