If you’re one of those people who is always cold, a scrub jacket is a must-have item to keep you comfortable while you’re at work.
Some doctor’s offices and hospitals keep the temperature so low, that you may even need to wear one of these 10 jackets in the summer.
*Disclosure: This article on the best scrub jackets for nurses may contain affiliate links. If you click and make a purchase, I may receive a commission. For more info, please see my disclaimer.
- Best Overall: Cherokee Women's Infinity Warm-Up Jacket
“machine-washable and can also be dried in the dryer without worrying that it’ll shrink”
- Runner-Up: HeartSoul HS315 Scrub Jacket
“easy-to-clean polyester/spandex blend that is lightweight, but keeps you warm at the same time”
Best Scrub Jackets for Nurses
1. Cherokee Women’s Infinity Warm-Up Jacket
- Zip front
- Front and back shoulder yokes
- Princess seaming
This Cherokee Women's Infinity Warm-Up Jacket is a full-zip jacket made from durable polyester and stretchy spandex for a versatile, comfortable fit.
You can wear it zipped all the way up to the neck when you’re really chilly, or leave it half-zipped for those less frigid days.
The fabric is machine-washable and can also be dried in the dryer without worrying that it’ll shrink.
The zipper is very sturdy and includes the Cherokee logo on it for some added detail. It comes in 13 great colors to coordinate well with your scrubs.
- Stretchy fabric
- Machine washable
- Sturdy zipper
- Fabric is on the thinner side
- Length is a little long
- Pockets aren’t very deep
Check the price of the Cherokee Women's Infinity Warm-Up Jacket on Amazon.com.
2. Cherokee Women’s Workwear Core Stretch Scrub Jacket
The Cherokee Women's Workwear Core Stretch Scrub Jacket looks much like a traditional scrub top, but with more durable fabric and a zippered front.
The pockets are nice and deep and can hold all of your nursing essentials, including stethoscopes, pens, and your cell phone.
It’s machine-washable for easy cleanup, but the fabric is a cotton/polyester blend so it may be more prone to shrinking in the dryer.
Hanging it to dry is best to help it maintain its shape. It also only comes in one color- a neutral gray.
- Deep pockets
- Full-length zippered front
- Cuffed sleeves stay in place
- Fabric may shrink in the dryer
- Only 1 color option
- Lightweight material is best for warmer months
Check the price of the Cherokee Women's Workwear Core Stretch Scrub Jacket on Amazon.com.
3. Cherokee Luxe Sport Scrub Jacket
- Women Crew
- Long Sleeve Warm Up Jacket
- Front Princess Seams, Front Shoulder Yoke
Designed to be both breathable and to keep you warm, this Cherokee Luxe Sport Scrub Jacket is perfect for any weather.
It’s made from a combination of polyester, rayon, and spandex so it’s super stretchy and durable, but it also includes mesh on the shoulders and sides to keep you cool and comfortable when you need it most.
The mesh also adds a touch of fashion to an otherwise basic jacket. This jacket comes in over a dozen colors and designs, each with some extra detailing on the pocket for a modern, fun look.
- Breathable mesh
- Soft, stretchy fabric
- Dozens of colors and design choices
- Sizing runs a little big
- Material tends to stain easily
- Zipper scratches at the neck
Check the price of the Cherokee Luxe Sport Scrub Jacket on Amazon.com.
4. HeartSoul HS315 Scrub Jacket
- FLATTERING FIT, SIZES UP TO 3XL - These HeartSoul Contemporary fit nurse jackets for women feature a zip front closure, rib-knit trim for a sporty touch, front and back princess seams for fit and...
- SPORTY RIB-KNIT TRIM - Tonal rib-knit side panels and elbow panels provide stretch right where you need it most. Move with ease thanks to the polyester/spandex knit on this jacket for nurses. Tonal...
- INNOVATIVE FOUR-WAY STRETCH DOBBY FABRIC - These nursing jackets for women are constructed from a polyester/spandex textured dobby fabric. The lightweight yet durable fabric is soft and stretchy with...
There are several great features that make this HeartSoul HS315 Scrub Jacket stand out. The fabric is an easy-to-clean polyester/spandex blend that is lightweight, but keeps you warm at the same time.
There is some great detailing on the sleeves and sides of the jacket that give the jacket a modern look.
The beautiful heart detailing on the back adds some interest and an extra touch of style. Three versatile colors- navy, pewter, and black- go with any scrub set.
The full-length zippered front features a sturdy zipper that will withstand many uses.
- Lightweight fabric
- Modern detailing
- Sturdy zipper
- Only 3 basic color options
- Sizing runs a little large
- Colors may bleed when washed, wash separately or with like colors
Check the price of the HeartSoul HS315 Scrub Jacket on Amazon.com.
5. 90 Degree By Reflex Lightweight Running Jacket
- Amazon's Best Seller. The 90 Degree by Reflex Women’s Lightweight, Full Zip Running Track Jacket provides you with a super soft layer of warmth without overheating or preventing ventilation. This...
- Maximum Comfort. This slim fit women’s track jacket is light and airy with soft to the touch fabric, comprised of 81% Nylon, 19% Spandex (Solid) and 88% Polyester, 12% Spandex (Space Dye)....
- Front Pockets and Thumbholes. Our sports jacket with zipper was designed for the active woman on the move. Don't want to carrry a bulky purse? Not to worry, this women’s performance jacket has two...
A jacket that fits well and accentuates your curves is what you’ll find with this 90 Degree By Reflex Lightweight Running Jacket. It cinches in at the waist, creating a nice silhouette.
The fabric is breathable, yet keeps you nice and warm on chilly days. There are also thumb holes so you can wear the jacket partly over your hands for more coverage.
This stylish jacket comes in two dozen colors and also features side pockets with zippers for storing nursing items.
The high collar is another feature for comfort as it keeps your neck warm and covered.
- Breathable fabric
- Two dozen color options
- Zippered side pockets
- Sizing runs small
- Fabric is itchy
- Complaints of zipper not working
Check the price of the 90 Degree By Reflex Lightweight Running Jacket on Amazon.com.
6. KOI Claire Knit Scrub Sweater
- Modern & Professional: The Claire Knit Scrub Sweater Is A Unique Sweater That Looks Modern And Professional At The Same Time! It'Ll Look Great On You!
- Comfortable & Cozy: The Claire Knit Scrub Sweater Was Designed To Be Comfortable And Super Cozy! You'll Want To Keep This Sweater On All Day!
- Fashionable Features: The Claire Knit Scrub Sweater Has Fashionable Features That You'll Love! From A Six-Button Front Closure To A Stitched-In-Belt, This Sweater Has It All!
Different from the normal tracksuit-type scrub jackets, this KOI Claire Knit Scrub Sweater is both fashionable and comfortable. It’s made from polyester and spandex to form a beautiful, knit fabric.
The fabric comes in 5 great color choices, including basic black and white. Instead of a zippered front, there are 6 large buttons that keep the jacket closed.
Two, large side pockets will hold everything you need during a shift. The jacket comes in sizes XS to 3X, so there is a style and a fit that will suit every nurse.
- Soft, knit fabric
- Button closure instead of zipper
- Comes in a wide range of sizes
- Colors are basic
- Fabric is rough on skin
- Loose-fitting doesn’t provide a good shape
Check the price of the KOI Claire Knit Scrub Sweater on Amazon.com.
7. Med Couture Performance Fleece Jacket
- Bonded fleece to resist water and retain body heat
- Features two exterior pockets and two interior pockets
- Designed with long sleeves and sewn cuffs for comfort
Soft and cozy, the Med Couture Performance Fleece Jacket is just what you need to stay warm on chilly days.
It’s made from durable polyester that is machine-washable and holds up well to frequent wash and wear.
The inside is fleece-lined so it is perfect for the fall and winter months when it can get really cold.
The full-length zipper doubles as a hair tie, which is convenient when you’re a busy nurse on-the-go. There have been some complaints of the zipper breaking after a few uses, so be gentle with it.
- Machine-washable and washes well
- Fleece-lined interior
- Zipper pull doubles as a hair tie
- Complaints of zipper breaking
- Too warm for spring and summer
- Sizing runs a little big
Check the price of the Med Couture Performance Fleece Jacket on Amazon.com.
8. Hanes Full-Zip Hooded Jacket
- FASHION TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT - Hanes EcoSmart mid-weight, year-round fleece women's hoodie is made with cotton sourced from American farms.
- SOFT, PLUSH, AND STURDY - Thick fleece with a high-stitch density stays warm and cozy, so zip-up sweatshirt can be a longtime favorite.
- CLASSIC ZIP-FRONT SILHOUETTE - Full-zip front with a drawstring hood has a go-to, classic silhouette.
Ideal for workplaces with a more casual dress code, this Hanes Full-Zip Hooded Jacket is very comfortable and will keep you warm.
Made from a cotton/polyester blend, it does not need to be hand washed to maintain its good condition and shape. The fabric is very durable, and the perfect weight for all four seasons.
There are two generously-sized front pockets for holding nursing items. The hood is great for walking outside in the rain or snow, but may not be appropriate for all work settings.
A full-length zipper completes the desirable features on this hooded jacket.
- Comfortable fabric
- Front pockets
- Full-length zipper
- Hood may not comply with all dress codes
- May shrink in the dryer
- Hood doesn’t have drawstrings
Check the price of the Hanes Full-Zip Hooded Jacket on Amazon.com.
9. Starter Women’s Polar Fleece Jacket
- Made in China
- Starter hangtag doubles as a sticker!
- This full-zip jacket features soft brushed fleece, zippered hand pockets, and a secure chest pocket for convenient phone storage.
This Starter Women's Polar Fleece Jacket features soft, brushed fleece in four different colors, including black and purple.
The fleece keeps you nice and warm, so it’s best worn in the colder months of fall and winter, or if your work keeps their air conditioning very low.
There are two front zippered pockets, and also a chest pocket that’s the perfect size for a cell phone. The polyester fabric is machine-washable, but should be hung to dry to avoid shrinking.
The jacket is form-fitting, so it’s best to size up if you’d like a looser fit.
- Soft fabric
- Two pockets and a chest pocket
- Form-fitting, size up for relaxed fit
- Should be hung to dry
- Only 4 color choices
Check the price of the Starter Women's Polar Fleece Jacket on Amazon.com.
10. Dickies Dynamix DK330 Women’s Zip Front Scrub Jacket
- FLATTERING FIT, SIZES UP TO 5XL - Dynamix womens jacket features zip front, figure flattering front seams for fit and shaping. Sizes from XXS to 5XL. Our scrub jackets for women are designed for...
- ATHLETIC STYLING - Inspired by your favorite workout wear, this jacket for women features a next-level polyester/spandex fabric blend constructed in a lightweight textured dobby fabric. Shoulder and...
- FOUR-WAY STRETCH FABRIC - Dynamix womens scrubs are constructed from moisture wicking fabric that is stretchy, soft, durable and machine washable making it comfortable and easy care to outlast your...
An athletic-looking jacket with a modern fit, this Dickies Dynamix DK330 Women's Zip Front Scrub Jacket is perfect for any season.
The lightweight polyester fabric is given just the right amount of stretch from a hint of spandex. The full-length zipper can be worn all the way up, halfway, or unzipped for a variety of looks.
A ribbed collar and cuffs give a casual look to the jacket, while the side detailing gives the illusion of a smaller waist.
Ten great color options make this the ideal jacket to wear over your scrubs.
- Lightweight, stretchy fabric
- Full-length zipper
- Ribbed cuffs stay in place
- Sizing runs small
- Sleeve length is long
- Shoulders have a bulky look to them
Check the price of the Dickies Dynamix DK330 Women's Zip Front Scrub Jacket on Amazon.com.
Scrub Jacket Buying Guide for Nurses
1. Machine Washable
A busy nurse needs garments that are easy-to-clean and can withstand frequent washes.
Garments that are machine-washable and that can be dried in the dryer are the best options for nurses.
With so many germs encountered during a typical shift, thoroughly cleaning a scrub jacket is important for keeping yourself and patients healthy.
Machine-washable fabrics include:
Pay close attention to the washing instructions on your scrub jacket before washing it. If you don’t wash it properly, it could shrink, lose its shape, or fray, rendering it unwearable.
2. Zipper Vs. Buttons
Zippers are quicker and sturdier than buttons because they are made of metal, but they can also break over time and go off the track.
Fixing a zipper that has gone off the track takes more work than sewing a new button on, but it is possible to do yourself.
Buttons take longer to do, but they give a more professional appearance to a scrub jacket. Choosing a zippered scrub jacket versus a button-up scrub jacket really comes down to personal preference.
You may want to grab one of each so you can have a variety of options to wear.
Remember that you will be wearing your scrub jacket over another shirt or scrub top, so you may want to size up if the scrub jacket is more form-fitting. Looser scrub jackets may work true-to-size.
When purchasing a size online, read the reviews to see what others are saying about the fit. Also, pay attention to words like “form-fitting” or “relaxed fit” to get a better idea of what size you should get.
You can always add more bulk underneath the jacket to make it fit better, but a jacket that is too tight will have to be returned.
4. Hooded Jackets
Hooded jackets, or “hoodies” as they are sometimes referred to, are jackets that have a hood attached to them.
The hood may have a drawstring, or it may not. Hooded scrub jackets are not always suitable for all work environments.
The hood can actually become a hazard in some situations, particularly hospital environments where it can get caught on equipment.
Check your employee manual first before purchasing a hooded scrub jacket to see if it complies with your company’s dress code.
As a nurse, you know the importance of pockets. Nurses have a lot of items to carry to perform their job efficiently, including:
The more pockets a scrub jacket has, the better. Zippered pockets are also preferred as they keep your items safe and secure as you run in between patients.
Look for jackets with interior pockets as well to double the storage space available.
A scrub jacket is a great addition to any uniform.
It’s easier to add layers and remove them if you get hot, than to wear a long-sleeve shirt that you can’t remove while you’re at work.
All of these scrub jackets would be suitable for nurses looking to stay warm.