There are a lot of materials required to be successful in nursing school.
Between textbooks, a laptop, tablet, notebooks, and more, those materials can get pretty heavy to carry.
A regular backpack may not be enough. These rolling backpacks are a great alternative to carry your materials to school safely.
*Disclosure: This article on the best rolling backpacks for nursing students may contain affiliate links. If you click and make a purchase, I may receive a commission. For more info, please see my disclaimer.
Best Rolling Backpacks for Nursing Students
1. High Sierra Freewheel Wheeled Laptop Backpack
- Large, multi-compartment design. Fully-padded Cushion Zone computer sleeve fits most 15” laptops. Deluxe media pocket, with headphone port.
- Smooth rolling, corner-mounted wheels. Hideaway telescoping handle. Vapel mesh padded shoulder straps store behind a zippered, primary padded back panel.
- Side beverage pocket. Attach extra gear with triangle clip. Corner guards and a kick plate protect the bag from abrasion.
Made from sturdy polyester, this High Sierra Freewheel Wheeled Laptop Backpack can safely carry everything you need for nursing school.
There are multiple zippered compartments so your materials always remain secure while you travel to and from nursing school.
A padded laptop compartment keeps one of your most expensive nursing school items protected from damage and also keeps it readily accessible.
There are even designated spots for smaller items, like pens and your keys, so all of your essentials are easy to find.
- Durable polyester material
- Several zippered pockets
- Padded laptop compartment
- Wheels aren’t very durable
- Telescoping handle doesn’t come up very high
- Padded laptop compartment is on the small side
See all the other customer reviews for the High Sierra Freewheel Wheeled Laptop Backpack on Amazon.com.
2. J World Sundance Rolling Backpack
- Large Backpack With Wheels — This 20” rolling backpack for boys and girls offers the load carrying ability of a kids rolling suitcase and the portability of a school bookbag. For kids and adults...
- Huge Capacity — Easily carries a computer laptop, 3" binder, 3 college textbooks, notebooks, portable hard drive and lunch with room to spare. Measures 20 x 13 x 9 inches
- Laptop Compartment — Fully-padded interior laptop carrying case keeps your laptop computer safe. This rolling laptop backpack fits most laptops up to 15.6-inches
A cute and stylish backpack, this J World Sundance Rolling Backpack for School and Travel is perfect for anyone looking to express a little bit of their personality while transporting their nursing school essentials.
It comes in dozens of fun colors and designs so there’s something to suit everyone’s taste.
There’s also loads of space to fit everything you need, including textbooks, a laptop, notebooks, and binders.
The laptop compartment is padded to keep your laptop safe. The handle extends to fit everyone from young kids to adults over 6 feet tall.
- Several design options
- Large compartments fit textbooks and binders
- Extendable handle
- Mesh pockets may rip easily
- Stitching isn’t very sturdy
- Handle tends to stick
See all the other customer reviews for the J World Sundance Rolling Backpack for School and Travel on Amazon.com.
3. JanSport Driver 8 Rolling Backpack
- LIFE ON THE MOVE - The JanSport Driver 8 rolling backpack converts from backpack to roller with tuck-away shoulder straps
- ORGANIZATION MADE EASY - This wheeled laptop backpack features a padded 15-inch laptop sleeve, side water bottle pocket, and front organizer pocket
- RELIABLE BACKPACK - The Driver 8 durable construction is made to last; bag comes in a variety of colors to reflect your style & needs
The name JanSport has become synonymous with high-quality backpacks, and this JanSport Driver 8 Rolling Backpack is no exception.
It’s made from the durable fabric you’ve come to know and love from JanSport, and it comes in several great color options.
Multiple zippered pockets hold everything you need for nursing school, and there’s a laptop sleeve that fits laptops up to 15 inches, as well as a side water bottle pocket.
It can also be converted to a carrying backpack with the tucked-away shoulder straps for added versatility.
- Durable fabric comes in 7 designs
- 15 inch laptop compartment
- Shoulder straps included to convert to carrying backpack
- Complaints of loud wheels
- Shoulder straps aren’t very durable
- Water bottle pocket is big
See all the other customer reviews for the JanSport Driver 8 Rolling Backpack on Amazon.com.
4. Olympia Melody 19″ Rolling Backpack
- Push button telescopic mono handle and jumbo recessed wheels for smooth gliding .
- Hideaway padded shoulder straps.
- Multi front zippered pockets with internal organizer and Side pockets for accessories or bottles
Simple yet effective best describes this Olympia Melody 19.
It’s got all of the basic features you look for in a rolling backpack, all in a sturdy design that comes in two colors.
The black and blue colors are both professional looking so they are perfect for bringing to nursing school.
The telescoping handle has a convenient button for raising and lowering it.
Shoulder straps are included so you can convert it to a carrying backpack, and there’s a padded laptop compartment for keeping your laptop safe and secure.
- Telescopic handle with convenient button
- Included shoulder straps for carrying
- Padded laptop compartment
- Only 2 color options offered
- Complaints of the handle breaking easily
- Main compartment isn’t very big
See all the other customer reviews for the Olympia Melody 19 on Amazon.com.
5. Heritage Ladies Rolling Bag
- 【Tech Tote】Perfect for business travel, work, school, college, or weekend getaways. Features a padded laptop pocket that holds most laptops with up to 17-inch screen and a separate padded tablet...
- 【Storage Space & Pockets】Front exterior compartment pocket has a full-length zipper pocket and business organizer for all your travel essentials. Main compartment consists of padded computer...
- 【Multipurpose】Features dual in-line skate wheels provide swift mobility while on the move. Dual tote handles with 12-inch drop allow bag to be carried over the shoulder. Rear trolley tunnel fits...
This Heritage Ladies Rolling Bag is unique from a lot of other rolling bags in that it’s more of a tote bag than an actual backpack.
The tote bag can be removed from the rolling wheels and carried over the shoulder for versatility.
There’s still all of the features you want in a backpack, including a laptop compartment and several zippered pockets.
The material is lightweight nylon/twill combination that is also durable and looks great.
Two rich colors are offered- black and blue- and both have crocodile trim accents for some additional style.
- Unique tote style
- Can be worn over the shoulder with included straps
- Lightweight nylon material
- Customer complaints of wobbly wheels
- Stitching tends to unravel easily
- Rather wide
See all the other customer reviews for the Heritage Ladies Rolling Bag on Amazon.com.
6. High Sierra Powerglide Wheeled Laptop Backpack
- Large main compartments and multiple pockets allow you to keep all of your gear secure and organized.
- A fully padded Cushion Zone laptop compartment accommodates most 17-inch models. A media pocket with headphone port keeps your music close at hand.
- Multiple pockets including a zippered mesh pocket, pen pockets, lidded media pocket and key fob hook are perfect for keeping all of your smaller items secure.
There are several desirable features that make this High Sierra Powerglide Wheeled Laptop Backpack a winner for any nursing student.
The padded laptop compartment is larger than most at 17 inches, and there is also a media pocket with a headphone port that allows you to listen to your favorite music while you’re at school.
There are also several basic features that make this ideal for nursing students, including multiple zippered pockets, a key fob hook, padded backpack straps for wearing on your shoulders, and sturdy wheels with a kick plate.
- Large padded laptop compartment
- Headphone port
- Padded shoulder straps
- Wheels may stop spinning with frequent use
- Wheels are noisy
- Handle isn’t sturdy enough to be picked up frequently
See all the other customer reviews for the High Sierra Powerglide Wheeled Laptop Backpack on Amazon.com.
7. Kenneth Cole Reaction Call It Off
- ✅ TECHNI-COLE RFID: Anti-theft radio frequency identification (RFID) blocking technology in organizer pockets lined with thin shielding fabric to help block radio waves from being transmitted from...
- ✅ EFFORTLESS HANDLING: (i) Meets most U.S. Based airline carry-on size requirements and fits into most airline overhead bin compartments. (ii) Features dual in-line skate wheels for swift mobility...
- ✅ ORGANIZED COMPARTMENTS: (i) Main compartment includes a padded laptop & tablet pocket, a full length zipper accessory pocket, a business organizer, and a removable accessory pouch connected to an...
This Kenneth Cole Reaction Call It Off bag is all about safety. It contains anti-theft RFID technology to keep your information secure while you transport your nursing materials to and from class.
It’s also safe to travel with and meets all standards set forth by the airline industry, which is important if you plan on becoming a traveling nurse after graduation.
The individual compartments will keep you organized on your busiest days, with convenient places to store your laptop, keys, and even business cards.
There’s also a retractable push-button handle for added convenience.
- RFID anti-theft technology
- Meets airline safety standards
- Separate storage pockets
- Interior pockets are on the small side
- Heavier than other bags
- Handle doesn’t extend very high
See all the other customer reviews for the Kenneth Cole Reaction Call It Off on Amazon.com.
8. Olympia Deluxe Fashion Rolling Tote
- Spacious main compartment withg Elegantly imprinted full interior lining and a EVA foam padded front panel that protects your belongings.
- Constructed of ripstop polyester and Recessed metal ball bearing wheels this case is built to last. Hideaway push button retractable handle
- Heavily padded laptop compartment, perfect for your ipad or computer and side velcro closure pockets for your convenience
Not quite a tote bag and not quite a backpack, this Olympia Deluxe Fashion Rolling Tote has several convenient features that make it ideal for any nursing student.
The durable polyester fabric is resistant to rips and tears and is also easy-to-clean if it gets dirty.
There is an abundance of added padding throughout to keep your breakable materials, like a laptop, safe and secure.
The velcro pockets on either side store smaller items, like keys and pens, in an easy to reach location. The retractable handle can be hidden out of the way when not in use.
- Durable polyester fabric
- Velcro side pockets
- Retractable handle
- Wheels break easily
- Handle is difficult to extend and retract
- Laptop compartment isn’t sturdy
See all the other customer reviews for the Olympia Deluxe Fashion Rolling Tote on Amazon.com.
9. The Targus Compact Rolling Backpack
A sleek design will have you loving .
The black and grey color combination looks great and has a slightly shiny appearance to it so it looks luxurious.
There is a retractable handle at the top so you can pull this backpack along with you anywhere.
A padded laptop compartment keeps your laptop safely tucked away when not in use, while an interior clothing pocket allows you to bring a change of clothes with you to school.
A handy water bottle pocket and tuckaway shoulder straps further add to the appeal of this bag.
- Retractable handle
- Interior clothing pocket
- Tuckaway shoulder straps
- Wheels aren’t very sturdy
- Customer complaints of seams ripping
- Handle is difficult to retract
See all the other customer reviews for the on Amazon.com.
10. High Sierra Chaser Wheeled Laptop Backpack
- Generous main compartments and multiple pockets allow you to keep all of your gear secure and organized
- Backpack straps are stored behind the zippered back panel
- Inline skate style wheels are corner mounted for stability and provide a smooth ride. Molded feet provide added stability
Three large zippered compartments keep all of your nursing school supplies within easy reach with this High Sierra Chaser Wheeled Laptop Backpack.
It comes in 6 great colors, including a bright Flamingo pink and a subtle Lilac.
There are convenient shoulder straps tucked away in the back in case you want to carry the backpack instead of rolling it.
The telescoping handle is easy to use and stores away in its own zippered pocket when not needed.
The wheels are very sturdy and are mounted at the corners for a smoother ride.
- Shoulder straps for carrying
- Retractable handle tucks away into zippered compartment
- Sturdy corner-mounted wheels
- Handle isn’t very durable
- No padded laptop compartment
- Zippers are a little fragile
See all the other customer reviews for the High Sierra Chaser Wheeled Laptop Backpack on Amazon.com.
Rolling Backpacks Buying Guide for Nursing Students
1. Sturdy Material
Since you’ll be zipping and unzipping your backpack frequently and transporting heavy materials like textbooks, you want to make sure that it’s made from durable materials.
Polyester is one of the most durable materials you can find, but nylon and twill are two other good options.
You also want to make sure whatever material you buy is machine washable, since your backpack is sure to get dirty when rolled across the floor.
Polyester and nylon are both machine washable, but always follow the manufacturers care instructions before washing.
2. Retractable Handle
A retractable handle is one of the most important features in a rolling backpack.
Having it tucked away when not in use is both a safety feature and an aesthetic feature.
Handles should easily retract, preferably with a button to make this process easier.
Handles should also be long enough for you to roll the backpack along without having to bend over.
Taller people may need a longer handle so they don’t hurt their back having to constantly lean over to pull the backpack along.
3. Corner Mounted Wheels
Wheels that get stuck is one of the most frequent complaints from those who use rolling backpacks.
One way to avoid this is to purchase a rolling backpack with corner-mounted wheels.
Wheels that are mounted in the corner provide more stability because they distribute the weight of the backpack evenly.
Corner wheels are also less likely to become entangled in something as you roll your backpack along.
They can wiggle more freely and are easier to maneuver in tight spaces because they are evenly balanced and won’t tip over.
4. Laptop Compartment
You’ll need a laptop to get all of your work done at school, and keeping that laptop safe and secure isn’t always an easy task.
A padded laptop compartment makes this much easier to do.
The laptop compartment should be large enough to fit your laptop, so be sure to pay attention to the pocket’s dimensions.
A compartment located at the rear of the backpack will keep it more secure than one located at the front.
Thicker padding is important so that your laptop is protected from any drops or bumps that may occur.
5. RFID Blocking
Your rolling backpack will be transporting important materials, some of which may contain your personal information.
RFID blocking technology can keep your personal information from being stolen when you’re at school.
It keeps your credit cards and other personal information safe from RFID skimmers.
RFID blocking technology works by blocking and distributing the electrostatic charges that may come from a skimmer.
If skimmers get your credit card information, they can:
- Make fraudulent charges on your credit card
- Open up a new credit card in your name
- Steal your identity
- Ruin your credit
You can see why rolling backpacks with RFID blocking technology are important.
Being able to carry all of your nursing school essentials will allow you to focus more on school and less on how you’re going to transport all of your materials.
All of these backpacks have desirable features, with the most important being a handle and wheels for a pleasant experience.