This article is going to go over the 20+ must-have nursing school supplies.
I wrote a previous article about new nurse essentials. In the article, I discussed the things new nurses needed before they start their first day on the job.
After talking to a nursing student, it occurred to me nursing students are going through a similar struggle. As a nursing student, you’re probably asking yourself
“what supplies do I need for nursing school?”
As a nursing student, you have enough you have to buy. You don’t want to buy things you don’t need, but at the same time, you need to be prepared.
We understand the struggle.
Hence this article.
Before you’re finished with this article, you’re going to know what school supplies for nursing school you need.
Along with that, we’re going to cover some nursing student supplies you can probably do without.
*Disclosure: This article on the supplies you need for nursing school may contain affiliate links. If you click and make a purchase, I may receive a commission. For more info, please see my disclaimer.
The Must-Have Nursing School Supplies
When talking about things to buy for nursing school the first couple is kind of obvious.
Obvious but still worth mentioning for a couple of reasons.
- Monitor and assess a wide range of patients. Small Diaphragm Diameter-1.3 Inch
- The single piece tunable diaphragm is easy to attach, and easier to clean because its surface is smooth without crevices
- Pediatric side converts to a traditional open bell by replacing the single piece diaphragm with a non chill rim
A good stethoscope is worth its weight in gold. A good stethoscope is one of the most important supplies needed for nursing school.
You’ll be tempted to buy a cheap stethoscope. I don’t blame you. When I was a nursing student money was tight.
So, I had to go cheap in a lot of places. A stethoscope is not one of the nursing school supplies to go cheap on.
Cheap stethoscopes just aren’t very good. You’ll have a hard time hearing anything from them.
Manual blood pressure readings will be more difficult than it should. Cheap stethoscopes are also hard on the ears.
You don’t need to buy the most expensive stethoscope on the market. What you need is a good quality stethoscope that’s affordable. Littmann is my go-to stethoscope.
They make some expensive ones like the Littmann Cardiology IV.
You don’t need that one.
Just get yourself the Littman Classic III (on Amazon.com) and call it good.
If you’re looking for more choices for stethoscopes check out this article 5 Best Stethoscope for Nursing Students.
2. Stethoscope Identification Tag
- I.D. Tag provides easy identification of stethoscope
- Includes 1 write-on and 1 engravable name plate
- Fits all models
Originally, I was just going to throw this in with the stethoscope section. I decided to make this its own section because I see too many nursing students who don’t have this.
You need to get a stethoscope identification tag.
If you followed our advice and got a decent stethoscope, you want to have at least a chance of finding it if you lose it or misplace it.
You might ask how often that happens. A lot more often than you would think.
Many times, you’ll lose it because a nurse or doctor will ask to borrow your stethoscope. You, of course, say yes. Then they walk off with the stethoscope.
Having the identification tag at least gives you a chance to be able to get your stethoscope back.
Get your stethoscope identification tag from Amazon. Stethoscopes are too expensive to go missing that easily.
- 65% Polyester/35% Cotton
Your nursing student school supply list should include the right pair of scrubs.
Read through your school nursing student supply list to see what requirements they have on the scrubs you buy.
If nothing else, they’ll probably want you to get a certain color for your scrubs and attach your nursing school patch to the sleeves.
A good pair of scrubs can make a difference in how you present yourself.
When you’re out in your clinical rotations you’re interviewing for the units and hospitals that you’ll eventually work for.
If the scrubs are too tight, it doesn’t look professional. If it’s too loose, you’ll look like a slob. It might take you a little bit to find the scrub brand you like.
While you’re searching go ahead and check out Landau scrubs (Amazon). Their scrubs are what I wore throughout nursing school.
The same pair I bought before school started lasted me throughout nursing school.
Now that I’m out of nursing school, Landau scrubs are pretty much the only scrubs I wear.
4. Badge Clips/ Reels
Your school is going to require you wear your name badge while you’re in clinical and doing your practicum.
Get into the habit of wearing them because once you start working as a nurse, those requirements won’t change.
A good badge clip can save you a lot of headaches. Spend the extra couple of dollars to get the good ones.
I’ve cheaped out on a badge clip before and almost got sent home from my clinical.
What happened was the badge broke, and I didn’t notice it. Luckily, I was able to backtrack and find my ID.
A paper clip and some hospital tape later I was ready to go up to my unit.
5. Badge Lanyards
- Reversable - Print on both sides!
- 20" Length
- Breakaway safety clasp
An alternative to badge clips and reels is a lanyard. I’m not a fan of these. They can be problematic when doing direct patient care or turning patients.
Many nurses I work with and nursing students I’ve precepted prefer this check out some of these lanyards from Amazon.
6. Badge Cards
- Entire set of Horizontal Badge Reference Cards - 30 Cards included - $75 Value (see list below for included cards)
- Makes a great gift for Nurse, CNA, Paramedic, EMT, Doctor, and other Allied Health Professionals
- Durable cards made of plastic and is waterproof
Nursing school is all about throwing as much information at you as possible.
You’ll want to remember all that information, but you’re not. A badge card is kind of cheat sheet that goes with you during clinicals.
They are small cards that connects to your badge and you can refer to for reference. Some of the information on the cards are lab values, hints on reading EKG strips and so much more.
Get your badge cards from Amazon.
7. A Nursing Watch
- Retina display
A nursing watch should be on your nursing student school supply list. Many schools require it.
Even if they don’t, you should form a habit of having one. A watch with hands is ideal.
Many medications need administration according to a specific set of time. Nowadays smartwatches are becoming very popular.
8. Nursing Shoes
No products found.
You’re going to be standing a lot during your clinicals. After you graduate nursing school you’re going to be doing some more standing.
You need to start early taking care of your feet.
Another option to consider would be Alegria shoes.
For more shoe options check out 15 Best Shoes for Nurses or if you’re wanting specifically Nike or New Balance shoes there’s 5 Best Nike Shoes for Nurses and also 5 Best New Balance Shoes for Nurses.
9. Compression Socks
- ✅ Improved Blood Circulation With Graduated Compression – Our graduation compression technology (15-20mmHg) provides the ideal compression to provide the maximum boost to your blood circulation....
- ✅ #1 Recommended Design: Premium Construction And Comfort – Our graduated compression socks (15-20 mmHg) are recommended by doctors and preferred by trainers. The reinforced/cushioned heel and toe...
- ✅ The Best Fit And Comfort For Athletic, Travel & Daily Wear – Available in 2 different sizes to ensure you receive the focused support and muscle fatigue relief that you need. Designed with...
Don’t forget to get some compression socks with your nursing shoes.
Some of those benefits are…(source).
- They Improve comfort
- Help prevent serious medical conditions
- They can improve your blood flow
- Lessen pain and swelling in your legs
For how long you’re going to be on your feet you need to get a good pair of compression socks kinda like the SB SOX Compression Socks.
For more compression socks options check out the article 5 Best Compression Socks for Nurses.
10. A Penlight
- 🔥LIMITED DEAL: $6.99🔥 Easy to Use: Compare with the other types, this reusable LED Nurse penlight is push button to click on and off instead of holding the clip down.
- Professional: Eco-friendly Ceramics Red color and aluminum alloy material looks very sleek and high end，very professional, also a good present choice for person who works as doctor, nurse, can be...
- Design: Clean sleek Red Color Pupil Gauge design and the pupil gauge on the side is also convenience to pinpoint lens directly illuminates eyes, ears and throat.
A good penlight is a must if you’re trying to do neuro checks. A nursing student with their own penlight shows that you’re prepared.
If you also drop something in those tight hospital corners, you can shed light on the situation.
Get your Opoway Nurse Penlight.
The Opoway Nurse Penlight which is being sold on Amazon is fine. It’s a good value for what you’re getting though it probably wouldn’t be my first pick if you have a little bit more money to spend.
For more options on nurse penlights…check out some of the other great nurse penlights in our article 5 Best Penlight for Nurses.
11. Nursing Scissors
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Durable, Fluoride-coated non-stick surface with high-impact handles made to last for years
- TACTICAL DESIGN: Stealth black-handled, EMT Shears, 7.5 inch long with high quality stainless steel blades with milled serrations made to cut through the toughest material
- MEDICAL FIELD TESTED: Professionally designed for doctors, nurses, paramedics, EMT and EMS
Pharmaceutical companies have something against nurses being able to open up their packages easily.
I don’t get it. But make sure you’re prepared. Get your nursing scissors/sheers. These are also good for cutting off bandages
For other nurse scissors options checkout the article 5 Best Nursing Scissors.
12. A Foldable Clipboard
- Full size folding nursing clipboard made of lightweight aluminum
- HIPAA compliant design to hold sensitive patient documents
- Great for medical students, nurses or any healthcare professional
A foldable clipboard gives you a place to write when you need it. It also helps keep your papers together, when you’re not using it.
It’ll fold up and fit into many scrub pockets.
As an added bonus the White Coat Clip Board also comes with a cheat sheet/ reference information attached on the back.
Related Article: The Best Clipboard for Nursing Students
13. A Good Laptop
- Tenth-generation quad-core Intel Core i5 processor
- Brilliant Retina display with True Tone technology
- Backlit Magic Keyboard
For nursing school, you really don’t need an expensive laptop.
Many nursing students opt to get the MacBook Pro which is fine but not necessary if you’re on a budget.
You could get this HP laptop instead.
The specs are good, and it’ll get the job done. If you want to see our complete list of the best laptops for nursing students check out that article.
14. A Backpack with Wheels
- LIGHTWEIGHT, DURABLE FABRIC: made with 600D Duralite, Duralite Ripstop and Waffle Weave that features a special water resistant coating to help keep gear dry and providing exceptional tear strength in...
- ORGANIZER POCKET: organizer compartment with multiple pockets, including a zippered mesh pocket, pen pockets, lidded media pocket and key fob hook perfect for keeping all of your smaller items secure
- TELESCOPING HANDLE: single-tube telescoping handle provides easy maneuverability when extended out from the suitcase, and stores neatly inside the zippered cover when not in use; locks in place in...
Nursing textbooks are heavy. A backpack with wheels is an essential nursing school supply.
I went through nursing school carrying all those books with a traditional over the shoulder backpack.
I have a lot of backaches because of it. Be smarter than I was. Just get a backpack with wheels to preserve your back.
15. A Clinical Bag
- Multiple storage and document compartments
- Heavy Duty Zippers and Seams. Measures 13" x 9" x 14"
- Stain Resistant, Non-Skid Padded Bottom
You should have a dedicated clinical bag. You don’t need to have your backpack with wheels with you at the clinical site.
There’s really no reason to carry all your nursing textbooks with you.
Get yourself a dedicated clinical bag to make sure you have everything you’ll need for clinical all in one place.
16. A Pocket Care Plan Book
- Doenges APRN BC, Marilynn E. (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 1200 Pages - 03/05/2019 (Publication Date) - F.A. Davis Company (Publisher)
You’re going to be doing a lot of care plans in nursing school. If you don’t know what they are. You will know soon enough.
Go ahead and pick up the Nurse’s Pocket Guide.
You’ll need the book for nurses diagnoses when you’re coming up with your care plan during clinical.
For our complete list of the best books for nurses and nursing students make sure to check out that article.
17. Water Bottle/ Coffee Cup
You need to make sure you stay hydrated even at the clinical site. This Yeti Cup
- These Ramblers come standard with our YETI MagSlider Lid, the only drink lid that uses the power of magnets to keep your water, beer, or favorite drink on lock
- Our Ramblers are BPA-free, dishwasher safe, and have a No Sweat Design to make sure your hands stay dry
- Dracut is a durable coat of color that won't fade, peel, or crack through extended field use and also provide additional grip to the Rambler's exterior
or a Nalgene water bottle like this one below…
- Specially designed bottles for any occasion.
- BPA Free
- Dishwasher safe and won't retain odors
is a good buy for nursing students.
For that caffeine needed study sessions, a Yeti Cup will help keep your coffee or tea hot.
Nobody likes lukewarm coffee or tea.
If you’re neither a coffee or tea drinker, you still need to stay hydrated so make sure you pick up a Nalgene water bottle.
18. A Good “Clicky” Pen
- THE IDEAL PEN FOR OVERACHIEVERS: The smooth writing, long-lasting Pilot G2 Premium Gel Ink Pen features a comfortable rubber grip, & is available in ultra fine, extra fine, fine, & bold point.
- LONGEST LASTING, REFILLABLE GEL INK: Proven to be the longest writing gel ink pen among top brands, the smooth-writing, retractable G2 gel ink pen is a classic choice for all your writing needs.
- PERECTLY SUITED FOR YOU: If you love the original Pilot G2, you'll want to try our full G2 line of Mini, Metallic, Mosaic, & Fashion gel ink pens in a variety of sizes, barrel designs & colors.
Notice I said a “good clicky” pen.
Between practicums, clinical, care plans and note-taking in nursing school, you’re going to do a lot of writing.
A good pen starts making a difference after 30 minutes of taking notes. Another plus side with a good clicky pen is that it doesn’t have a cap.
You can take out the pen. Click it open with one hand. Write and then click it closed and put it back in your pocket.
All with one hand.
This might not seem like it’s a big deal until your hands are full of all your other nursing school supplies.
These should not be high on your list but if you can afford them, you should.
Get your Pilot G2 Retractable Pen from Amazon.
19. A Mini Sharpie
- Proudly permanent ink marks on paper, plastic, metal, and most other surfaces
- Intensely brilliant colors create eye popping, vibrant impressions
- Remarkably resilient ink dries quickly and resists fading and water; AP certified
It’s always nice to have a sharpie around during clinical.
If you have to time and date medication stickers, bandages it’s always nice to have a sharpie around.
A key chain sharpie is nice to have because you can clip it to your badge reel.
If the keychain sharpie isn’t for you, a “clicky” sharpie follows the same train of thought as a “clicky” pen.
- 300-count pack of neon index cards; includes 4 assorted neon colors
- Ideal for color-coding projects, creating flash cards, studying, making lists, and more
- Quality engineered with precision-cut edges for uniform size
I never cared much for the traditional notecards.
When I was going through nursing school, I was one of the few nursing students who didn’t use the 3 x 5 notecards.
If they work for you then by all means, keep using them. If you do use them you might want to get a big pack of them like this 10 pack of 100 from Amazon.
On a side-note in my humble opinion, a better alternative is Quizlet. It’s an online flashcard database. You can create an account. Type up your flashcard.
Then quiz yourself online or by using their mobile app. You never have to worry about losing your flashcard again.
You can also access their online database of public flashcards that other students have made.
Maybe even former students of your nursing program.
Of course, you should be wary of the accuracy of flashcards other nursing students made.
21. A Voice Recorder
- Built-in 4 GB flash memory. Automatic record level settings
- Up to 4,175 Hours of maximum recording time. Low Cut Filter for reduced wind effect
- Mono microphone for 75 Hz–15 kHz audio response
I never recorded a lecture but I know many of my classmates did. Originally I wasn’t going to put a voice recorder on here but after watching this Youtube video I changed my mind.
If you watch it let me know what you think below.
With that said, if you’re an auditory learner, a voice recorder is for you. You can record your lectures and then re-listen to them later.
Maybe at the gym. You can get a dedicated voice recorder like this
Sony voice recorder.
Or you can use one of the voice recording apps on your smartphone.
Just make sure to double-check with your professor before you start recording them.
Bonus #22. Planners for Nursing Students
- Notes, Andrea's (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 192 Pages - 08/24/2018 (Publication Date) - CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (Publisher)
Between assignments, exams, clinical times, and social events you’re going to need a planner to make sure you don’t miss something.
These are some of the best planners for nursing students.
Personally, I’m a fan of just using an online planner like the Google Calendar and calling it good.
This is our list of the must-have nursing school supplies. These are not the only things needed for nursing school.
We could have made a list of a 100 must-have nursing student supplies. Which we thought about doing.
In the end, we just picked the most essential nursing supplies for students just to get you started.
Please take a moment to share this nursing student’s checklist.
What other important nursing school supplies did we miss?
- 15 Best Shoes for Nursing Students
- 5 Best Tablets for Nursing School
- Nurse Pinning Ceremony Gifts
- How to Ask Someone to Pin You for Nursing Ceremony
Update: This article was originally posted February 10, 2019. This article has been reviewed and updated.