This article is going to discuss the best backpacks for nursing students.
Depending on which backpack you have will determine how comfortable it’s going to be.In general, backpacks should be practical, sturdy, and easy to carry around.
In a profession or a field of study that has special requirements, like nursing, it’s even more important to choose the right one.
Nursing students normally need a laptop, several heavy textbooks, instruments, notebooks, stationery, and an assortment of personal stuff.
With all those belongings, it’s easy for those items to become tangled up or lost in a poorly designed backpack.
This ends up making the process of reaching for what you want challenging. A good backpack should help you organize your things in the best possible way. Those backpacks can vary.
They could be extra-large, elegant, have wheels, come with anti-theft pockets, and many other features.
As you go through our top nurse backpacks list, think about your needs. Hopefully, this will help you make the right choice.
*disclosure: this post may contain affiliate links. If you click and make a purchase, I may receive a commission. For more info, please see my disclaimer.
- Best Rolling Backpacks for Nursing Students: Everest Deluxe Wheeled Backpack
“mobility and size of this backpack are the main attractions here”
- Best Overall: Mancro Backpack
“an elegant and practical bag”
Best Backpacks for Nursing School- Our Top Picks
Here are some of the best backpacks for nursing students currently in the market. Let’s see which one you’d like best.
1. Mancro backpack
- PERFECT SIZE & STORAGE SPACE: Laptop backpack with perfect size to hold things and your 15.6 inch...
- USB PORT DESIGN: The usb charging durable bag with built in USB charger outside and built in...
- SAFETY & ANTI THEFT LOCK: This anti theft backpack for laptop comes with a LOCK so you never have to...
This is an elegant and practical bag. It has a multitude of various sized pockets, with 3 big ones, 9 smaller ones inside, and 2 side pockets.
There’s also a dedicated space for your 17 in. laptop. It’s anti-theft, and has a convenient USB port and charging cable.
You do need a power bank though, it doesn’t do the charging. It’s unisex and comes in a variety of colors to cater to all tastes.
It’s made from sturdy water-resistant polyester, which will make it last throughout the school year in good condition.
It has padded shoulder straps and distributes the weight well, so it’s easy to carry around all day.
It’s also easy to clean up and maintain, which are both essential for a nursing student.
- Multiple pockets of various sizes
- Dedicated 17-in laptop compartment
- Provides access to a USB charger
- Theft proof, Includes a combination lock
- Water repellent
- Made from durable eco-friendly nylon
- Padded shoulder straps for comfort
- Comes in many colors
- Moderate price
- The backside fabric is not made from a mesh or breathable material.
- It could feel a bit stuffy on a hot day.
See all the other customer reviews for the Mancro Backpack on Amazon.com.
2. Jiefeike Travel Laptop Backpack
- TSA APPROVED & MULTIPURPOSE:At checkpoint,unfolds the EXTRA LARGE BACKPACK freely 0-180 degree...
- LARGE CAPACITY & ORGANIZED: Men travel backpack owns 20+ Independent multi pockets with classic...
- EXTRA LARGE & DURABLE MATERIAL: The extra large college backpack: With 3 Mobile device pockets,...
It’s a very large, multipurpose, practical, and very sturdy bag. When you’re not carrying it around in college, it would be a great travel mate.
It’s designed to open up 180 degrees for easy clearance at the airport security checkpoints.
It has 20+ large pockets, 2 anti-theft zippers, and many hidden pockets, for the best possible storage, and efficient organization of your stuff.
It has a separate padded compartment that can carry a 17-in Laptop, plus a few other devices.
There’s an external USB port and charging cable so you can conveniently use your devices while charging them.
There’s also an audio port to place your earphones.
It’s sturdy and durable. It’s water resistant, shockproof, and easy to clean and maintain. It’s also comfortable to carry around even on a hot day, thanks to the back ventilation system
Even though the price tag on this one is a bit high, it’s still less than similar brand backpacks and offers great value for money.
- Extra large capacity
- Multiple pockets with various sizes and locations
- 2 Anti-theft zippers and hidden pockets
- Separate padded compartment for sensitive instruments
- Can carry a 17-in Laptop plus other devices
- High-density nylon lining makes it shockproof
- Made from high-quality polyester
- Water and tear resistant
- USB external port and internal charging cable
- Audio interface with headphone pull through
- Steel cable rugged handle
- Airflow back system for better ventilation
- Adjustable padded shoulder straps
- Lanyard in shoulder strap to hang sunglasses or keys
- A bit on the pricey side
- The big size is tempting to pack up too many items
- Could get heavy and cluttered
Check out the Jiefeike backpack on Amazon.
3. Swiss Gear 1186 Laptop Backpack
- CAMPUS-READY/EVERYDAY DESIGN: Boasting a modern, everyday silhouette, this pack features plenty of...
- TABLET & LAPTOP STORAGE: The roomy main compartment features a padded 13" laptop sleeve while a...
- ORGANIZATION ON-THE-GO: Stowaway classroom or office necessities, such as pens, pencils, a...
Swiss gear has been in the business of providing super quality luggage and outdoor apparel for ages. Their constant innovation shows on everything this brand produces.
This backpack is sturdy, elegant, practical, and lightweight. It can easily be used for school, sports, or traveling. It’s suitable for both genders, and surprisingly, for all age groups as well.
As a Swiss Gear customer, you get a few perks, and one of them is a three-year warranty. Not bad at all!
- Divided into three compartments
- The padded pocket can carry a 17.5-in Laptop
- Made from durable polyester
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Padded airflow shoulder straps and backside
- Front bungee cord for extra storage
- Reflective accent material for added safety
- Side water pockets
- Headphone port
- A D-ring to attach stuff
- Well known brand
- 3-year warranty
- No USB port
- No anti-theft precautions
- A bit pricey
Check out the reviews of the Swiss Gear backpack on Amazon.com.
4. Everest Deluxe Wheeled Backpack
The mobility and size of this backpack are the main attractions here. If you need to carry around heavy textbooks, a laptop, and other miscellaneous stuff, this backpack would be great for you.
You also have the choice to use it as a regular backpack.
The added telescopic handle and rollers aren’t too heavy or cumbersome to carry around. Just don’t let the size tempt you to fill it up too much!
- Large size
- Rollers for extra mobility
- Spacious main compartment
- Double zipper closure
- Built-in organizer in the front pocket
- Three side pockets
- Snap waist buckle to stabilize your gear
- Telescoping handle for more control
- It comes in many colors
- A bit on the pricey side
- Some users commented on the durability of its material
Check out the Everest Wheeled Backpack on Amazon.
5. Louise Morrison Backpack
A lighthearted graffiti on the bag is the main feature here. You could buy it as a joyful item of school gear, or you can give it as a gift to a colleague.
It’s a sturdy, practical, comfortable, and lightweight backpack. We believe it’s also perfect for nurses or nursing students.
- Nice personalized graffiti
- Made from high-quality lightweight polyester
- Multi pockets with various sizes and designs
- Laptop compartment
- Side pockets and multiple other storage spaces
- Adjustable, padded, and breathable shoulder strap
- Unisex, and perfectly suitable for students
- Moderate price
- No anti-theft features
- No USB or audio ports
- Not too many pockets
Check out the customer reviews for the Louise Morrison backpack on Amazon.
6. ProEtrade Backpack
- DURABLE - The PROETRADE Backpack / Daypack is made of HIGH-QUALITY Anti Scratch Fabric with water...
- CAPACIOUS & LIGHT WEIGHT – Large Capacity, the backpack Dimension : 20"H x 12.5"W x 8.5"D....
- MULTI COMPARTMENTS - Total 8 pockets, 2 main compartment, 1 laptop pocket, 2 front zipped pocket, 2...
This is a perfect backpack for a nursing student’s daily grind. It’s large, but not huge. It has all the essential pockets and compartments.
There’s a laptop padded pocket, side pockets, and hidden pockets.
It has an anti-theft pocket and a reflective patch for night visibility. It’s ergonomically designed, which means it keeps your body as comfortable and stress-free as possible.
This backpack’s sturdy, durable, and very stylish. It comes in many colors to cater to the various tastes, genders, and age groups.
It can also be used for school, travel, sports, or any other activity requiring a good backpack.
On top of all this, It has the usual frills like the USB port, and its price is very moderate. You’re getting a lot of value for your money if you pick this one.
- Large capacity
- Nicely divided
- Multi-compartments of different sizes in various locations
- Padded pocket for laptop
- Anti-theft pocket
- Reflective patch for safety at night
- High-quality anti-scratch fabric
- Sturdy and durable
- Adjustable shoulder and chest straps
- Airflow system for better ventilation
- Ergonomic design for comfort
- The back panel is sponge padded for protection of vertebrae
- USB external port
- Suitable for student life and other activities
- Moderate price
- Looks a bit bulky
Checkout the ProEtrade backpack on Amazon.
So How to Choose a Good Backpack?
Nursing students carry so many things; a ton of books, a laptop, instruments, supplies, and their own stuff. When you’re at school all day, you also have to add snacks in there too.
The main challenge here is to find a bag that can accommodate all this, plus keep it protected, organized, and accessible.
Having a variety of compartments and pockets of various sizes, located in multiple places is what’s going to let you organize your backpack properly.
One of the compartments should be padded, and it should be wide enough to contain your laptop. It also needs to be comfortable. You’re going to be carrying it all day long.
The word ‘ergonomic’ is always nice to have in the specifications. Padding, ventilation, and adjustable straps are important variables here also.
You have the choice of getting a backpack with wheels you can pull instead of carrying it all the time.
Naturally, bigger bags should have that option. Always choose the size that fits your stuff comfortably.
It has to be durable and withstand the wear and tear of school life. A good material is an investment for the future.
Nurses need to exercise proper hygiene at all times, their belongings included. Your backpack has to be water-resistant and easy to clean and maintain.
You shouldn’t do this, but if you think you’re going to leave your bag unattended, often the anti-theft feature in the bag will help keep your stuff safe even when you’re not looking.
Another good safety feature is the reflective patch. If you’re going to be walking at night, then this is a good idea. Especially if you’re going to be walking near the road at night.
Some non-essentials but nice to have include a USB external port and an audio output port for your earphones. Some bags also have places to attach your sunglasses or keys.
Related Article: Nursing Student School Supply List: 20 Must Have Items
Some tips for organizing your backpack
First of all, write down what you need for nursing school.
Lists are always great.
If you’re forgetful, err on the side of caution. A little overpacking is better than missing out important books or instruments.
Put the materials that go together in adjacent places. For example, pens, highlighters, sticky notes, and notebooks could be put on one side of the bag.
Try to keep your items in the same place. For example, if you get used to taking your red pen from the small pocket on the left, you’re not going to spend a lot of time searching for it later.
If you have a car or a locker, you can put some of your stuff in there. You really don’t have to carry it all.
The exception is if you’re forgetful and you live really far away from the school than you might want to bring it all with you.
Lastly, there here are many sizes for backpacks, choose the right one for you. And here’s another thing, getting a bigger bag invites clutter! So try to balance it out.
The best backpack for a nursing student is highly dependent on what that specific nursing student needs.
But assuming you’re an average student having an average amount of courses, I believe that the ProEtrade Backpack (on Amazon) would be a great choice.
It fulfills almost all the criteria we outlined for a good backpack, and it does it at a reasonable price.
It’s large, well designed, ergonomic, and has some essential safety features like anti-theft and reflective night light.
It comes in many colors, and also has the frills that go so well with being a student.
Choosing a backpack is a breeze, right!?
Do you have any tips for organizing your nurse backpack? Let us know in the comments below.
Related Articles to Backpacks for Nursing Students
- 5 Top Tablets for Nursing Students
- 5 Best Laptops for Nursing Students
- 20 Vital Nursing School Supplies
- 5 Best Stethoscope for Nursing Students
- 10 Best Medical Bags for Nurses
If you found this article helpful please share it. Thank you in advance.