One of the most important things you'll learn in nursing school is to manually take a patient's blood pressure.
It's a critical clinical skill used for diagnosing and treating patients.
These are 5 of the best blood pressure cuffs available that will help you throughout your time in nursing school.
*Disclosure: This article on the best sphygmomanometer for nursing students may contain affiliate links. If you click and make a purchase, I may receive a commission. For more info, please see my disclaimer.
- Best Overall: ADC Diagnostix 700 Pocket Aneroid Sphygmomanometer
“Lifetime calibration warranty”
- Budget Pick: Santamedical Deluxe Aneroid Sphygmomanometer
“Easy to clean with a lifetime calibration warranty”
The ADC Diagnostix 700 Sphygmomanometer is one that will survive the duration of nursing school with you and beyond.
It's backed by a three-year warranty and has been tested to endure 30,000 cycles, which is triple the norm for other models.
It's available in standard adult size in addition to infant, child, small adult, large adult, and thigh. Eleven colors and designs give you plenty of great options to choose from.
- 3-year warranty (with life-time calibration warranty)
- Tested to withstand 30,000 cycles
- Luminescent dial makes it easy to read in low light
- 11 color options
- Nylon cuff with Size Guide marking helps prevent poor cuff placement on your patient
- Complaints of faulty pressure gauge
- May leak air
- Cuff material is stiff
Check the price of the ADC Diagnostix 700 Sphygmomanometer with BP Cuff on Amazon.
2. ADC Diagnostix 703 Palm Style Aneroid Sphygmomanometer
A blood pressure cuff proudly assembled, inspected, and packaged in the United States.
The ADC Diagnostix 703 Palm Style Aneroid Sphygmomanometer has several desirable features, including a latex-free bulb for those with latex allergies.
There's also a trigger-style air release valve so you can use it with one hand.
The blood pressure cuff has been tested to withstand 50,000 cycles and is made from durable materials like polymer and nylon.
There's also an attractive leather carrying case with a self-repairing nylon zipper for added convenience.
- Latex-free bulb
- Tested to withstand 50,000 cycles
- Leather carrying case with self-repairing nylon zipper
- Complaints of trigger mechanism breaking easily
- Hose may come loose from the bulb
Check the price of the ADC Diagnostix 703 Palm Style Aneroid Sphygmomanometer with BP Cuff on Amazon.
3. MDF Aneroid Premium Professional Sphygmomanometer
Each MDF Aneroid Premium Professional Sphygmomanometer is backed by a lifetime warranty.
Along with that, they offer free replacement parts so you can rest assured you're making a wise investment.
Rigorous testing includes 3,000 cycles and 5 independent calibrations. There's also an artery indicator and index range to ensure further accuracy.
The bulb, tubing, and cuff are all made from latex-free materials for both patient and provider comfort.
The durable PVC tubing is resistant to cracking so there's less of a chance of air leakage which could interfere with diagnosing a patient properly.
- Lifetime warranty
- Free replacement parts
- Durable, latex-free materials
- Needle may stick when inflated
- Difficult to have it calibrated if it arrives not calibrated correctly
- Cuff material is slippery
Check the price of the MDF Aneroid Sphygmomanometer with Blood Pressure Cuff on Amazon.com.
4. Santamedical Deluxe Aneroid Sphygmomanometer
Precision and high-quality are two words best used to describe this Santamedical Deluxe Aneroid Sphygmomanometer.
It's been cleared for use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), so you know it's a reliable tool for nursing school.
There's a large dial which is easy-to-read and accurate.
The large air-release valve makes performing readings on patients, and even on yourself, a simple task.
There's a one-year warranty and free lifetime calibration guarantee with each blood pressure cuff.
The nylon cuff is easy-to-clean in between patients and withstands even harsh chemicals like chlorine and peroxide.
- FDA cleared
- Large air-release valve
- Easy-to-clean nylon cuff resists chemicals
- Stitching around tubing tends to fray
- Metal latch may pinch patient's skin
- Can be difficult to control deflation knob
Check the price of the Santamedical Deluxe Aneroid Sphygmomanometer on Amazon.com.
5. ParaMed Manual Blood Pressure Cuff
The ParaMed Manual Blood Pressure Cuff is perfect for nursing students because it allows you to take your own blood pressure, which is a great way to practice.
The cuff is made from durable nylon and includes a Velcro strip for easy adjusting.
The number dial is large and easy-to-read so you can get accurate readings every time.
That accuracy has further been backed by the FDA.
While accuracy is important, so is patient comfort, and the latex-free cuff materials allow for that.
The handy carrying case stores everything neatly until the next use.
- Durable, latex-free nylon cuff
- Large, easy-to-read dial
- Accuracy backed by the FDA
- Difficult to calibrate with the included tool
- Bladder may develop leaks
Check the price of the ParaMed Manual Blood Pressure Cuff on Amazon.
Learning to perform an accurate blood pressure reading on a patient is one of the fundamental things a new nurse needs to know.
All of these blood pressure cuffs allow nursing students to learn how to accurately take a patient's blood pressure and are a worthwhile investment for nursing students.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some faqs related to bp cuffs for nursing students.
What is the best sphygmomanometer for nursing students?
Our favorite sphygmomanometer for nursing students is the ADC Diagnostix 700 Aneroid Sphygmomanometer with Blood Pressure Cuff. It's a well-known brand with a history of making quality products.
What is the best blood pressure cuff for nursing students?
Our favorite blood pressure cuff for nursing students is the ADC Diagnostix 700 Pocket Aneroid Sphygmomanometer with Adcuff Nylon Blood Pressure Cuff.