Not all shoes are created equal and that holds true when it comes to men’s and women’s shoes.
Men- particularly ones in the nursing profession- need supportive footwear that is reliable and able to withstand a lot of physical activity.
To help you in your search we’ve put together the best nursing shoes for men.
*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you click and make a purchase, I may receive a commission. For more info, please see my disclaimer.
They’re both comfortable well-made shoes with a lot of different color combos to suit just about any style.
Best Shoes for Male Nurses
1. Men’s Adrenaline GTS 19 Running Shoe
- SHOE SIZE: "D" = Medium width, "EE" = Wide width, "B" = Narrow width, "EEEE" = Extra wide width
- FOOT SUPPORT: Ideal for runners with all arches looking for support. Our new Guiderail Support System focuses beyond the feet to the most injury-prone part of a runner’s body: the knees. GuideRails...
- CUSHIONED FEEL: Soft and protective, these shoes provide just the right amount of cushion in each step to let you float through your run, walk and everyday life.
The perfect balance of structure and softness, this Men’s Adrenaline GTS 19 Running Shoe is an excellent option for male nurses with all different types of arches.
The BioMoGo DNA and DNA LOFT cushioning provide just the right amount of support mid-foot so that arches are supported- even flat or high arches.
Although the midsole is cushioned sufficiently, it’s also durable enough to bounce back with each step.
What makes this shoe truly special is the GuideRails Holistic Support System which starts by keeping the feet stable and solid, thus preventing knee injuries and knee pain.
Even better is the look of the shoe- from the 3D Fit Print upper with mesh detail down to the slip-resistant rubberized sole you’ll love the streamlined and modern look that this shoe has to offer.
- Cushioned midsole support
- Mesh upper
- GuideRails Holistic Support System
- Support is more soft than firm
- Narrow sizing may require a wider version
- Shoe curves at the toe
Check the price of the Brooks Men’s Adrenaline GTS 19 Running Shoe on Amazon.
2. Merrell Men’s Encore Gust Slip-On Shoe
- Polished slip-on with supportive sole unit and padded collar
- Merrell air cushion in the heel absorbs shock. Compression molded EVA footframe for stability and comfort
- Ortholite footbed.Encore sticky rubber outsole delivers flexibility and reduces foot and leg fatigue.
Slip-on shoes are an ideal choice for male nurses as they are a mix between a sneaker and a clog.
These Merrell Men’s Encore Gust Slip-On Shoe is no exception.
The ease of a slip-on shoe combines with the durability and flexibility that the Merrell brand has been known for since 1981.
That durability is the very thing that makes these shoes such a great option for male nurses.
The upper portion of the shoe is made from 100% full-grain leather which covers a breathable mesh lining.
The leather lends a sophisticated look while the mesh lining keeps moisture away from the feet, preventing sweating and slippage.
The midsole is cushioned and supportive with the heel portion containing extra cushioning to absorb shock with each and every step.
The rubber outsole sticks firmly to any surface, keeping you safe during each shift.
- Convenient slip-on design
- 100% full-grain leather upper
- Sturdy rubber outsole
- Only comes in 2 colors- black and brown
- Loose fit
- May leave scuff marks on light surfaces
Check the price of the Merrell Men’s Encore Gust Slip-On Shoe on Amazon.com.
3. Brooks Men’s Addiction Walking Shoe
- SHOE SIZE: "D" = Medium width, "EE" = Wide width, "B" = Narrow width, "EEEE" = Extra wide width
- MAXIMUM SUPPORT: Our Extended Progressive Diagonal Rollbar strategically supports your arch to guide and keep your body in its natural path of motion.
- SLIP-RESISTANT, SECURE FIT: The forefoot MC Pod construction and an innovative outsole sets your foot in an efficient, balanced, and stable position.
Nurses walk, on average, 4 to 5 miles during each 12-hour shift. That makes comfortable walking shoes a necessity.
These Brooks Men’s Addiction Walking Shoes are very comfortable and lightweight.
They also look cool due to the 100% genuine leather upper and three classic color options- white, brown, and black.
In addition to looking and feeling great, these shoes provide support for male nurses that suffer from flat feet, overpronation, and other foot disorders.
The feet and the rest of the body are supported by the Extended Progressive Diagonal Rollbar that stays with you with each stride so that every step is fully supported.
Joints are also protected with the BioMoGo DNA cushioning at the midsole that molds to each individual foot so that the perfect mix of support and softness is felt with each step.
- 100% leather upper
- Extended Progressive Diagonal Rollbar supports each stride
- BioMoGo DNA midsole cushioning molds to the foot
- Not very breathable
- Slightly narrow and may require a wide size
- Laces are long
Check availability of the Brooks Men’s Addiction Walking Shoes on Amazon.
Related Article: What Are the Best Shoes for Nurses with Plantar Fasciitis?
4. Nike Men’s Air Monarch IV Cross Trainer
- NIKE SHOES MEN: The Nike Air Monarch IV (4E) Training Shoe for Men sets you up for a comfortable training session with durable leather on top for support.
- DURABLE LEATHER: Men's sneakers are made with leather upper features for durability and support, while perforations provide airflow during every shoe wear.
- CUSHIONED COMFORT & DURABLE SUPPORT: A lightweight foam midsole with full-length encapsulated Air-Sole unit cushions every stride, providing all day comfort in your Nike shoes.
The name says it all- these Nike Men’s Air Monarch IV Cross Trainer literally will have you feeling like you’re walking on air.
Nurses that have to stand on their feet for a long shift will appreciate the support and cushioning that only Nike Air’s can provide.
The signature Air-Sole unit supports the foot from toe to heel, making them one of the most comfortable pairs of shoes a nurse can own.
The signature “swoosh” symbol emblazons the side of the shoe, which comes in five appealing color combinations- black/black, white/silver/navy, white/black, white/gray/anthracite, and white/black/red.
The mesh tongue allows air to flow in and around the foot so even the sweatiest feet have some breathability.
They are also sturdy thanks to the rubber outsole that provides traction on even the most slippery surfaces.
- Air-Sole unit fully supports the foot
- 5 cool color options
- Mesh tongue offers breathability
- Squeaky on solid surfaces
- Narrow and may require a larger size
- Shoe is heavy
Check the price of the Nike Men’s Air Monarch IV Cross Trainer on Amazon.
5. Sanita Men’s Professional Cabrio Clog
- Polyurethane rocker bottom construction reinforced with a hard plastic frame to provide stability and durability
- Approved by the APMA for its standards in arch support and orthopedic construction
- Anatomically shaped footbed for arch support
Clogs are the go-to shoe for many male nurses because they are so comfortable and easy to put on.
They simply slip right on and you’re ready to go about your busy day of taking care of patients- no tying of laces required.
These Sanita Men’s Professional Cabrio Clogs provide all of those benefits and more.
Since 1907, Sanita has been making clogs with superior craftsmanship so they really know their stuff.
They brought all of that experience to the forefront when they made this shoe.
It all starts with the 100% genuine leather upper.
The platform bottom is made from durable polyurethane in a rocker formation so that each step flows perfectly from heel to toe.
There’s also a supportive footbed that is ideal for nurses with high or low arches.
You’ll also appreciate the wide toe box which helps avoid painful, cramped toes at the end of a long shift.
- Slip-on design
- 100% leather upper
- Polyurethane rocker bottom
- Only comes in black
- Side-stitching may fray
- Soles can split
Check the price of the Sanita Men’s Professional Clog on Amazon.
6. Dansko Men’s Wynn Slip-On
- The versatile style of the Wynn slip-on from Dansko can be worn with khakis or jeans.
- Leather upper with goring allows for easy on/off wear.
- Leather sockliner wicks away moisture to help keep the foot cool and dry.
The Men’s Wynn Slip-On from Dansko takes comfort and elegance to the next level.
Made from 100% genuine leather, they are the perfect mix of casual and sophistication.
The casual look of a slip-on combines with the richness of leather, making them an ideal shoe for any male nurse looking for comfortable and stylish shoes to wear during a long shift.
Since 1990, Dansko has been making quality shoes that help nurses avoid foot, ankle, knee, and back problems.
Each shoe comes with Dansko’s superior construction and quality, from the smooth leather exterior to the cushioned insole that molds to the foot to the non-slip rubber outsole that keeps nurses safe during even the toughest situations.
There’s plenty of arch support for those that need it and the padded collar means no more blisters or abrasions on the back of your ankles.
- 100% genuine leather upper
- Cushioned insole molds to the foot
- Padded collar keeps blisters away
- Only 3 colors available
- Requires shoe polish to maintain the shine
- Not breathable
See the price of the Dansko Men’s Wynn Slip-On Clog on Amazon.com.
Related Article: 5 Best Dansko Nurse Shoes
7. Reebok Classic Harman Run Sneaker
- DURABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT MATERIAL: These sneakers feature synthetic upper that is supportive and comfortable
- EFFICIENT FOOT SUPPORT: These stylish trainers with die-cut EVA midsole provides support which lasts many strolls and jogs
- COMFORTABLE AND STURDY DESIGN: This footwear with the Low-cut, freestyle design offers mobility at the ankles so you keep moving all day long
The Reebok Classic Harman Run Sneaker combines the richness and sophistication of leather with the laid-back style of a sneaker.
Nine great color combinations boast desirable features like a low-cut design, padded foam sock liner, cushioned midsole, and sturdy rubber outsole.
When it comes to the cushioned midsole, not many brands can rival Reebok.
Made from die-cut EVA, the midsole on this shoe provides the ideal mix of cushioning and support for nurses with all types of arches.
The padded foam sock liner adds an extra layer of cushioning so that every step feels comfortable and soft.
With nurses encountering many different challenges during their shifts, a solid shoe is a necessity.
The non-slip rubber outsole provides plenty of traction on a variety of surfaces so you always remain on your feet and taking care of the patients that need you.
- Padded foam sockliner
- Die-cut EVA midsole
- Non-slip rubber outsole
- Leather upper may crack if proper care and cleaning instructions are not followed
- Leather has a strong smell
- Sizing runs slightly large
See the price of the Reebok Classic Harman Sneaker on Amazon.com.
Related Article: 5 Best Reebok Nurse Shoes
8. Adidas Men’s Alphabounce Beyond Running Shoe
- Runner type: Neutral shoes offer flexibility and versatility, with premium cushioning; Weight: 12.2 ounces (size 9)
- Bounce cushioning provides enhanced comfort and flexibility
- Seamless Forgedmesh upper designed with areas of support and stretch to help ensure a custom fit that adapts to every move
Bounce your way through the work day with these Adidas Men’s Alphabounce Beyond Running Shoes.
The name says it all as these shoes are extremely lightweight and bouncing due to the superior cushioning provided at the midsole.
The upper portion of the shoe fits like a second skin, snugly and securely holding the foot in place from the moment you put it on.
There are also 10 appealing color options to choose from in a cool, sock-like style.
The features don’t end there.
There’s also mesh fabric on the upper portion of the shoe that moves with the foot, offering flexibility and breathability.
The rubber outsole is built to withstand even the most slippery conditions like wet tile floors.
You’ll feel energized as soon as you put them on and ready to tackle whatever your workday throws at you.
- Lightweight design
- Mesh upper provides flexibility
- Sturdy rubber outsole offers plenty of traction
- May need to wiggle feet to slide shoes on
- Not made for running
- Lacing is complicated
Check the availability of the Adidas Men’s Alphabounce Running Shoe on Amazon.
Related Article: 5 Best Adidas Nursing Shoes
9. Under Armour Men’s Charged Rogue Running Shoe
- NEUTRAL: For runners who need flexibility, cushioning & versatility
- Engineered mesh upper is extremely lightweight & breathable, with strategic support where you need it
- Lightweight, external heel counter for additional support that keeps the back of the foot locked in place
The Under Armour Men’s Charged Rogue Running Shoe can take you right from working in the office or hospital to outside pounding the pavement.
Even in low-light conditions, this shoe performs well due to the 360-degree reflectivity on the outside of the shoe.
That added layer of protection keeps you visible when you’re walking out of work late at night or running in the dark.
Under Armour had safety in mind when they created this shoe, from the reflective exterior to the external heel counter that keeps the back of the foot locked in place so there’s less risk of injuries occurring.
The rubber outsole is another safety feature that provides traction and support on a variety of different surfaces.
With 14 cool color combinations and a lightweight, mesh upper, this shoe is ideal for male nurses who also enjoy running.
- 360-degree reflectivity on the exterior
- The external heel counter locks the foot in place
- 14 attractive color combinations
- Runs slightly small
- Narrow toe box
- Mesh upper tears easily
See what others are saying about the Under Armour Men’s Charged Rogue Running Shoe on Amazon.com.
10. Hoka One One Men’s Arahi Running Shoe
The Hoka One One Men’s Arahi Running Shoe just screams cool.
From the uniquely-designed upper that comes in 6 awesome color options to the 3D Puff Print Frame on the lower portion of the shoe, you’ll be the most stylish male nurse on the floor with these on your feet.
The appealing look of the shoe isn’t the only reason these are an ideal choice.
There are also plenty of interior features that make them rock.
The padded tongue stays in place so no rubbing or irritation occurs at the top of the foot.
The mesh upper allows air to flow in and around the foot, keeping feet cool and dry all day long.
The Meta-Rocker midsole allows for a smooth transition from heel to toe so each stride is effortless and comfortable.
The durable rubber outsole keeps everything sturdy and in place while you tend to patients.
- Breathable mesh upper
- Meta-Rocker midsole
- Solid rubber outsole
- Sizing runs small
- Grass sticks inside bottom treads
- May need breaking in
See what others are saying about the Hoka Men’s Arahi Running Shoes on Amazon.
Related Article: What are the best Hoka shoes for nurses?
Shoe Buying Guide for Nurses
This is a shortened version.
If you want to see our complete shoe buying guide for nurses you can check out that linked article.
1. Breathable Fabric
Shoes that aren’t made from breathable fabrics can lead to sweaty, hot, smelly feet.
Breathable fabrics, like mesh and cotton, allow air to flow in and around the foot while they shoes are being worn so your feet stay cool, comfortable, and dry.
2. Rubber Outsole
The bottom of a shoe may not seem important, but it’s actually the most important feature.
Shoes that slip on hard surfaces can be a danger to the person wearing them and those around them.
Rubber is the best option for an outsole because it provides plenty of traction on hard surfaces like:
3. Padded Tongue
If you’ve ever taken off your shoes and had the top of your feet covered in blisters and abrasions, you know why a padded tongue is so important.
Part of getting the right shoe and taking care of your feet is knowing when you should replace your shoe.
Tongues with extra padding provide an extra layer of material between the foot and the laces so less rubbing occurs, thus resulting in fewer blisters, cuts, and other skin irritations.
4. External Heel Counter
An external heel counter locks the rear of the foot in place so you’re less likely to twist your ankle or have your foot slip and result in other injuries.
This is particularly important for nurses who work on a variety of different flooring surfaces that may become slippery at times due to materials like bodily fluids, medications, and chemicals.
5. Color Options
In the past, nurses were only allowed to wear white shoes.
Times have changed and more and more medical facilities are allowing their nurses to express their personal style with their shoes.
Color options like pink, teal, and red have become popular with nurses, but some employers still require a specific dress code.
It’s best to check your employee handbook before purchasing new shoes.
6. Slip-On Design
Slip-on shoes are desirable for a variety of different reasons.
For example they:
- Are easy to put on
- Never require re-tying of shoelaces
- Look casual and laid-back
- Fit comfortably
Slip-on shoes sometimes are referred to as clogs or crocs.
Pay attention to the materials used on the bottom of slip-on shoes and ensure they come with a rubber outsole for traction control since it’s an important safety feature.
Male nurses have different needs than female nurses when it comes to shoes but one thing remains the same- we all want them to be comfortable.
All of these shoes deliver on that promise.
By being comfortable, you can focus more on your patients and less on painful, sore feet.