This article is your gift guide to awesome gifts for a nursing student.
This list was created because we know how hard it can be finding the perfect gift.
*Disclosure: some of the links on this site are affiliate links.
Introduction: A Nursing Student Gift Guide
If you’re looking at this gift guide for nursing students, I think there are two possible scenarios.
The first scenario is you just like looking at gift guides for nursing students.
The second is there’s a nursing student you know you want to give a gift to.
I think the latter is a more reasonable assumption so let’s run with that.
As someone who tends to struggle buying presents, I know how hard it can be. It doesn’t help if you’re trying to buy a last-minute nursing student present.
Helping you find the right present is the reason for this guide.
Whether it’s your mom, dad, brother, sister, a relative or a close friend there’s a little bit of something for everybody in this list.
So without further delay…
Practical Gifts for Nursing Students
To begin with, here are some ideas for practical gifts for nursing students.
Some of these might not seem as exciting as our fun nursing student gifts below. Rest assured the practicality of these gifts makes them much appreciated.
Especially for nursing students who are on a tight budget.
1. A Stethoscope
- Monitor and assess a wide range of patients
- Detect normal and abnormal sounds and rhythms
- Useful in non-critical care environments such as a medical office, general ward, OB/GYN, ambulatory clinic or urgent care
I know what you’re thinking.
“why a stethoscope?”
“don’t they already have one.”
This is true. They probably already have one, but it’s probably not very good. Many times nursing students will buy the cheapest stethoscope they can just to get them by.
The thing about cheap stethoscopes is they’re hard to hear from. To make matters worse, they can be painful on the ears. If you can upgrade them to a better stethoscope that would set them up for the long run.
I recommend Littmann stethoscopes. They are a good mix of both quality and being reasonably priced.
➡️ Check out the price of the Littmann Classic III Stethoscope on Amazon.
2. Stethoscope ID Name Tag
Nursing students are always misplacing their stethoscope.
This usually happens one of two ways. They either lose the stethoscope by setting it down somewhere and forgetting about it.
Or someone asks to use their stethoscope (probably a doctor) and then the person walks off with it. You would think this doesn’t happen very often.
But it does.
To make matters, worse many nurses have the same or similar stethoscopes (nurses tend to gravitate towards the same quality stethoscopes).
A solution is to have a name badge on your stethoscope.
If the nursing student misplace the stethoscope or someone walks off with it, there’s a better chance of getting it back.
➡️ Check out the stethoscope ID name tags on Amazon.
3. A Rolling Backpack
- Large, multi compartment design
- Main compartment with book-style zippered opening for easy packing
- Fully-padded CUSHION ZONEcomputer sleeve fits most 17 inch laptops 16 x 11 x 1.75 inch.Capacity -2930 cubic inches.
A nursing student still using a traditional backpack should switch to a rolling backpack. In nursing school the books they require nursing students to bring to class are heavy.
One book alone could be several pounds.
When you start throwing them all in the same bag it’s a recipe for back pain. I’m a big guy, and I still regret all the years I spent carrying around those books on my back.
➡️ Check out the price of rolling backpacks on Amazon.
Related: 10 Best Rolling Backpacks for Nursing Students
4. A Nursing Bag
- 600-denier polyester
- It has two mesh pockets on either side
- The straps measure 29"
- Multiple storage and document compartments
- Multiple storage pockets and compartments
- Measures 13 x 9 x 14
Nursing students are going to have clinical rotations. During clinical rotations, they’re going to be carrying things that they usually wouldn’t need to for class.
In nursing school, I found it very helpful to have a separate bag just for clinical.
I didn’t want to forget anything, especially my name badge.
Clinical instructors will send nursing students home for not having their nursing school badge with them.
➡️ Check out the price of the nursing bag or the nursing duffle bag on Amazon.
I also have a more extensive list of nurse bags and totes if you want to check that out.
5. Nursing Clipboard
- Nursing Clipboard - With 1” of internal storage our nurse clipboard will keep your reports HIPAA compliant and your pockets light.
- Confidence Inspiring Cheat Sheet - The backside of our nurses' clipboard features a color-coded clinical cheat sheet that gives you quick access to the information you need.
- But Wait, There’s More 😉 - You'll receive a FREE membership to our Online Resource Library! Access downloadable PDFs, perfect to keep on your phone or print out for your next shift or clinical...
During clinical nursing students are taking a lot of notes. Having a clipboard with them is a must. Nursing students don’t need just any clipboard.
They need one with a little bit of storage. A clipboard with storage gives them the surface area to write.
Plus it gives them a little bit of storage for extra pens, paper whatever else they’re going to need for their clinical rotation.
All in a very portable design.
➡️ Check out the price of the nursing clipboard on Amazon.
Related Article: 10 Best Clipboards for Nursing Students
6. “I Wasn’t Strong Like This When I Started Out: True Stories of Becoming a Nurse” (Book)
- English (Publication Language)
- 320 Pages - 04/09/2013 (Publication Date) - In Fact Books (Publisher)
This book is sure to inspire any nursing student.
This book features stories from real nurses sharing their experiences in their nursing careers.
In the narrative, the nurses discuss their firsts.
- Their first births.
- Their first death.
- Their first IV stick and so forth.
They’ll also read the nurse’s accounts of what helps them get through their difficult shifts.
➡️ Check out the book “I Wasn’t Strong Like This When I Started Out: True Stories of Becoming a Nurse” on Amazon.
7. Fidgetland Fidget
- ✔️ HANDHELD ULTIMATE FIDGET TOY - The Rizzle fidget is a large fidget that is best described as fast, fluid and fun. It's the only fidget specifically designed for adults or teens with larger...
- ✔️ DISCREET, USE IT ANYWHERE - Like all of our products, this fidget is discreet, making it the perfect fidget to use in classrooms, office meetings, sporting events, doctor visits, during...
- ✔️ LOWER ANXIETY & RELIEVE STRESS - Have a bad habit of biting your nails, cracking your knuckles, or constantly tapping your foot? This fidget is a great way to help overcome bad habits. Feeling...
Popularized by the ABC TV show Shark Tank. These fidget toys are a way to reduce stress and anxiety.
Some nursing students just need something in their hands during lectures or while studying to help them focus.
These are great inexpensive gifts to help solve that problem.
➡️ Check out the price of Fidgetland Fidgets on Amazon.
8. A Nursing Watch
- PERFECT FOR NURSES, DOCTORS, EMT, SURGEONS & ALL MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS: Super easy to read, Reliable 3-Hand Japanese Quartz Movement Featuring a White Dial with 12 & 24 Hour Markers, Luminous Hour &...
- FEATURING A 38MM, 5ATM CASE: The Original Scrub is Easy to Read, EASY TO CLEAN. This watch fits a wide range of wrist sizes from 5" (127mm) to 7.8" (198.12mm)
- DURABILITY & COMFORT: Easy to Clean Super Soft 100% Silicone Band, Stainless Steel Caseback and Water Resistant Up To 50M(160ft) Rated for Hand Washing, Showering and Swimming
Nurses need a watch. Nursing students that don’t usually wear a watch soon learn how vital having a watch is.
Many medications nurses have to give are time-sensitive. Not being aware of the time could be detrimental to the patient’s health, comfort or well being.
There’s a practical element to having a watch. But it doesn’t mean a nursing student can’t accessorize with them also.
➡️ Check out the prices and all the designs of nurse watches on Amazon.
Fun Gifts for Nursing Students
Above we gave you some practical gifts for nursing students. Below we’re going to go a different direction.
We’re going to cover some fun gifts you can give the nursing student you know.
9. “Sock it to Me” Nurse Knee Socks
- QUIRKY DESIGN - Feeling under the weather? You don't need to call 911, we've got your remedy right here.
- STYLISH AND ADORABLE - Your toes will be cozy in these eye-catching, thick, comfy socks.
- DURABLE, SOFT, AWESOME - These super cute knee-highs are made in Korea from 58% cotton, 40% polyester, 2% spandex.
Socks are fun gifts you can give
They’re also a fun way to accessorize especially in clinical when the school or hospital might not let nursing students be so expressive with their attire.
The “Sock it to Me” nurse knee socks are fun, and the quality is excellent.
➡️ Check out “Sock it to Me” nurse knee socks on Amazon.
10. “Because Nursing School” Wine Glass Goblet
- Wine Glass Goblet Funny Because Nursing School Nurse Student
- 10oz Wine Glass Measures 7" H 2.5" D
- 20oz Wine Glass Measures 9" H 2.5" D
Within moderation of course. But even still. There’s going to be those nights.
➡️ Check out “Because Nursing School” Wine Glass Goblet on Amazon.
11. “Trauma Queen” Large Nursing Tote Bags
I mentioned above about the importance of having a separate bag or tote bags for a nursing school clinical.
This is along the same lines except funnier.
➡️ See the price of “Trauma Queen” Large Nursing Tote Bags on Amazon.
12. “She Believed She Could So She Did” Nurse Keychain
- NURSE JEWELRY - Beautiful Nurse Charm Keychain- She Believed She Could So She Did Keychain for Women
- NURSE KEYCHAIN- Silver Plated RN Caduceus, Stethoscope and She Believed She Could So She Did Nurse charms on key ring.
- NURSE GIFT- Looking for Nurse Gift Ideas? This Nurse Charm Key Chain is the perfect gift for nurses, nursing students, nurse appreciation, graduation, birthday, Christmas, thank you gift or just...
Every time she pulls out her key chain, there’s a reminder. Something to inspire her that she can get through nursing school.
➡️ See the price of “She Believed She Could So She Did” Nurse Keychain on Amazon.com.
13. Personalized Stethoscope Coffee Mug
- MAKE SOMEONE SMILE TODAY! ►🚑💉😍 Perfect medical field staffs presents accessories for friends, family and love ones.
- VIBRANT PRINT COLORS ON BOTH SIDES ►👍📌🌈 Premium quality vibrant print design printed both sides of the cup in the US.
- SAFE FOR HOT AND COLD BEVERAGES WHEN DRINKING ►🔥💦🆗 Thick walled high-quality ceramic cups perfect for morning caffeine espresso or for tea lovers.
If he or she is a big coffee or tea drinker, this makes a really nice personalized nursing student gift. You get to type in the name before you order.
➡️ See the full product description on your personalized stethoscope coffee mug at Amazon.com.
14. Nursing Student Grip and Stand for Phones
- Looking for funny nursing student birthday or ADN / BSN graduation gift ideas for a new grad or future Registered Nurse? This design features a quote that any nursing student can relate to.
- This phone grip design is intended for RN, LPN, and LVN nurse students still in nursing school. This phone car mount design also makes a great nurses week appreciation gift.
- PopGrip with swappable top; switch out your PopTop for another design or remove it completely for wireless charging capabilities. (Not compatible with Apple MagSafe wireless charger or MagSafe...
This is another simple gift that can make a big statement.
➡️ See prices of nursing student pop socket at Amazon.com.
15. Adult Coloring Books for Nurses
- Skye, Morgana (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 66 Pages - 01/31/2018 (Publication Date) - Independently published (Publisher)
Nursing school is stressful.
Along those lines I learned an important lesson in nursing school, you have to figure out how to manage your stress.
The difference between success and failure could be your ability to manage your stress.
I remember seeing some of my peers coloring as a way to relieve stress. At that point, I didn’t know adult coloring books were even a thing.
Not only is adult coloring books a thing research is showing some health benefits with coloring according to Mayo Clinic (source).
Here’s the video below.
➡️ Check out the price of adult coloring books for nurses at Amazon.com.
➡️ While you’re at it don’t forget to pick up a pack of also Crayola markers on Amazon.com.
Bonus 16. Nurse Laptop Sticker
- Size 3x4 inches
- Every order comes with free mustache decal
- High quality ORACAL vinyl
This is more of a fun gift.
These are popular in nursing school. It’s a way for nursing students to represent. They can put this on their stuff. Things like a yeti tumbler or their laptop.
➡️ Check out nurse laptop stickers on Amazon.
If you know a nursing student looking for a new laptop or a new tablet for nursing school, we have some great articles on those also.
Hopefully, you found this nursing student gift guide helpful. It’s not uncommon for gift-givers to get anxious or frustrated when looking for a gift.
We get so focused on finding the “perfect” gift we lose sight of what’s important.
So whether it’s a birthday gift for a nursing student, mother’s day, father’s day whatever. Ultimately it’s the thought that counts.
They’re going to be so excited that you thought of them regardless.
Related Articles on Gifts for a Nursing Student
You can’t go wrong with practical gifts.
If you’re looking for more practical gift ideas for nursing students you should check out the article “What Supplies Does a New Nurse Need.”
In that article, we list 15 of the most important things new nurses need before starting a new nursing job.
Marvellous, some of your gift ideas are less than practical, the watch, for example, can not be worn in hospitals in the UK, so that is pointless. Why not think about a pair of shoes that can be worn while doing a 12-hour shift and not come back with aching feet, of course, there is no point including practical items, just bits of rubbish
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your opinion on the article. I will say that whether a gift is practical or not, really depends on both the person giving the gift and the person receiving the gift.
For instance, some people might prefer giving or getting practical gifts, while others might not. What might be considered practical or reasonable by one person might not be to another person in the same token. This is before even taking into consideration anything like the actual cost of the gift itself.
For example, for someone who fidgets a lot and needs something in their hand, the Fidgetland Fidget would be great for them but not so much for anyone else. This is unfortunately what makes gift-giving inherently difficult.
I have heard in the UK nurses can’t wear watches in the hospitals, but in other parts of the world, that’s not necessarily the case.
I have noted the comment about the shoes (along with your other thoughts) and will consider it in the next update for this article.
I wish you the very best.